Aleph-X monoblocks finished.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
flg said:
I don't see the McMillan R's in that schemo???
2.2K would possibly be the value??? Post #134???
:D :D :D
But, then again, those R19-29 guy's???
You aren't running a single ended input are you???
:D :D :D

McMillans are installed, so the schematic is slightly different from the original circuit I showed in previous post. First, I resoldered the parts around the CCS but this did not solve the problem. Next, I'll try installing C102 C105. I will post the results later.

wuffwaff said:
Hi,
yes C102 is the one I meant. Don´t forget there are two of them......
Start with something small like 1n or 1n5.

William

Here comes a short update of my ongoing chase for the hum in my aleph-x:

1) I inserted C102 and C105 as recommended, but used 10nF instead of the recommended 1nf, since 10nF was the smallest value I had on hand-> no change, same amount of hum

2) Replaced Q3& Q4-> no change, same amount of hum

3) Resoldered all small components around Q3-> around 40% reduction in hum judged by measuring output with scope, amplitude of oscillation is now around 10mV

I also noticed that hum level goes down as amplifier warms up.
Good news is I REALLY like the sound of my aleph-xs the longer I am listening!

brif update on my chase of the hum

Hi All,

in my attempts to chase the hum out of one of my monoblocks I think I solved the problem- kind of.
After all my fruitless attempts I finally turned my attention to the input section and I exchanged the LTPs (Q5&Q7). The result is a reduction of the hum to a very low level. On my 96 db efficient speakers you can only hear it within 1m from the speaker. Funny thing is when I look at the output with my scope, I now see almost the identical amount of hum on both sides, i.e. the - side that had before been absolutley silent now has the same amount of noise as the + side. (both sides now look like the lower trace in the picture of my post #123). I guess the result is that the X-configuration now rejects the common noise quite efficiently....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.