Aleph X heat sink thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guy:

Keeping them separated doesn't really matter, for all intents and purposes. If it did, I guess we would be saying that there is some significant difference in the heat transfer at the edges of the sink (where it is adjacent to its neighbor) than in the middle. In fact, the fins must be spaced within a heatsink such that adequate heat transfer to the air occurs and is not compromised by the next fin doing the same. So they are not particularlly more efficient at the edges such that placing the next sink nearby will compromise their operation. Hope that makes sense .:)

Can't comment about R-Theta's willingness to ship internationally.

I am with Peter 150% on this one. This thread is for R-theta only.
One thing is to get some bargaining power another is to want to switch the source. First of all, do AAVID an MM anodize their heatsinks? If yes then AVID profile that Brian pointed to may be kept on the payroll. The MM baseplate is WAY TOO FLIMSY. The point here is to get the best price/functionality+ best looks and feel.
Even the extrusion profile looks great, material and manifacture can vary to an incredible extent.
I know what R-theta profile looks like and I know how nicely it is cut and anodized, I am not so sure about the others.

my :2c:

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
grataku said:
The MM baseplate is WAY TOO FLIMSY. The point here is to get the best price/functionality+ best looks and feel.

I agree that the MM profile mentioned is too thin. The fins are thinner also.

I have seen a post in the past also, that said that the quality of the extrusions from MM were not the best quality.

R-theta seems like the best source, and that is a great looking extrusion. The only other option that I see that would work would be Aavid if the price is less.

--
Brian

Steve it's all right. I just want to point out that although Wayne Sankey sinks are cheap and not bad looking, they are not in the same league as R-Theta ones. Also putting 2 sinks side by side complicates design, assembly and is not as rigit.

R-Theta sinks are just more solid. Here's Waynes amp:

Attachments

• san.jpg
    san.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,431
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
SteveA said:
Peter-
Could I assume, then, that the R-Theta sinks would work for the Aleph 2 as well?
Steve

I would think that they would, but you might possibly need more then 2 heatsinks per channel. Look at the graph in the first post of the thread for the C/W, then calculate.

From a quick look, it looks like it would take 3 of them, or 1 if you use forced convection. You could use 4 of them per channel and then up the bias current a little bit.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.