Aleph X heat sink thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got home after work yesterday and the heatsinks were there in the hall way. Nice heat sinks, but still each one does has it some dings and dents or marks on it. It is ok for own use but if one wants to use these heat sinks to buiild amps for sale, one would have a hard time explaining to the customers that you never drop the amp and they are new. I have only look at six, yet to open the other box, but I was reluctant to see the other six, they may be even worst.

Those small dings and dents I believe is caused by the factory handlers, not caused by the transit/shipping. How are yours look like? One of those really look like a reject. Out of those six I can trully accept three and return three for a given chance.

Chris

This was just the basic finish and not in any way suitable for commercial use. I ordered 10 heatsinks before and for my requirements it was perfectly acceptable, no dents or scratches, just few marks from electrodes when anodizing. I could easily fix it with permanent, black marker. If yours are not up to average quality, maybe you should complain, so the second batch would be better.

Yep, this is what they look like marks are all over on my set. I don't know if I consider this type of situation acceptable though. I have never seen these types on marks on an aleph! I have contacted Theresa.

Attachments

• burn1.jpg
    burn1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 588
I have one sink that few of the fins was dented in such a way I almost cut myself sliding my fingers along the fins. Looks like something clamped on it so hard that the edge of the fins pressed in and the side of the fin became very sharp. But the rest of the fins are all similar to what your pictures show, some has more some has less.

But I'm not planning to sell my amps.
(I haven't finished them yet!)

One day I will sell or pass down to relatives of all my amps before I die, I can not take them to my grave, and I do not want to give bad stuff to others.

May be that just me;)
Chris

Here we go again, I don't want to post here anymore but they keep pulling me back in. I feel partially responsible for this deal gone south for some more than for others. I have sent the pictures to Theresa, but it looks like mine might have not been bad enough.
Feel free to do the same take pics, send them in. I think this kind of sloppy workmanship is not acceptable. They ought to be able to stick electrodes on the sink in more controlled manner so the goddamn things don't arc. All my heatsink have at least 20 arc points along the fins each. I can't see how any professional audio builder would be able to sell anything looking like this.

No chris, it not just you!

It's ok;

After the initial disappointment wears off, back to reality and step back and relax and see it from another angle, actually for the price that I paid for those heatsinks, it was not too bad, of course if they were perfect that would be a bonus but none the less IMO it was still a rather good deal. I paid RS Component UK for the same price for a heat sink that was just a little bigger than half of the 11x11 this time, but then each one shipped from UK to Canada was perfect. You get what you paid I guess.

Last but not least, I must thank all, everyone that help and organise the heat sink group buy, your efforts are most appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris :cool:

Nothing better than seconding someone's anger to calm him/her down! ;)
The fact is my heatsinks are looking real good, I have no major flaws on mine. I cleaned the carbon off with rubbing alcohol, used a black permanent marker. Now, except in a couple of places where the arc has eaten away a little bit of material, I can't tell the problem ever existed.
I am actually very happy with the purchase.
If one of your heatsinks is clearly defective you should be able to get it replaced.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cambe said:
Hello Everyone,
I recieved my heatsinks 2 days ago.They also had some indications.But,nothing to be worried about.
What can be built with a pair of these heatsinks?
Thank you all for your efforts.
Sincerely,
Cambe

Hi Cambe,

Glad to hear your heatsinks are fine. I hope a bit of
minor repairs will fix mine.

Hmmm...what to build. Check out Brian's post for
some Aleph-X ideas:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=97258#post97258

I'll probably try the 12V rail but will likely run
the bias a bit higher. (It's cold in Toronto. :) )

Cheers,
Dennis

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cambe said:
Thanks Dennis,
I plan to use the 12v rails,also.
It is cold here now.How's your Mini-A coming along?
Sincerely,
Cambe:)

Hi Cambe,

The Mini-A is fairly complete electrically. I meant to
play around with the bias, but haven't gotten
around to it. Not have I built a case for it yet.

But I've been playing a lot of music with it. Even
at 1 amp bias, within its power rating, I think
the mini-a is better than the commercial amps I
have at home (Hafler transnova 9300 and Sonographe
SA150)

Prior to the mini-a, my only other DIY project was a BOZ
preamp, built using the original Old Colony Labs PCB.
For the mini-a, I played around with Eagle and made
pcb's. With some suggestions from Thomas, Grey and
the Master, a got rid of the noise problems I had
originally. It was a trememdous learning experience.

Cheers,
Dennis

P.S. The mini-a dissipates less heat than the Halfer at idle.
Since I don't listen very loudly, I'm getting better sound
AND power savings. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.