Aleph P Finished (Well at least 99% done)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks guys for discussing volume controls...I am learning what and where to look in deciding for my future Aleph P. I've done preliminary work on the circuit board design with a common heatsink for all 6 fets/ch so I can keep it warm but not toasty 24/7.

Hi,

it is sort of logarithmic. I took 2k2 output resistors and calculated the others to give ca. 3dB steps. You will need 22 resistors. The first step is closed (0 ohm) the last open.
The others are:
5600, 2200, 1200, 720, 470, 330, 220, 150, 100, 68, 47, 33, 25, 18, 12,
some values are not available so you´ll have to take the nearest one. Output impedance will be very low for most of the range. Only the highest leves have a bit more . Here´s the range from -0dB to infinity:
2195, 1579, 1100, 776, 542, 387, 287, 200, 140, 96, 66, 46, 33, 25, 18, 12, 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 0 (all in ohms)

hope this helps,

William

Audio signal amplitudes are measured in deciBells (dB). The range of loudness which can be perceived by the human ear varies over 6 orders of magnitude making linear measurements of loudness difficult to deal with. Therefore a logarithmic scale of loudness, the deciBel scale, has been adopted.

This logarithmic measurement of signal intensity describes the amplitude of a signal relative to a standard referrence amplitude. Therefore the dB scale is said to be a relative, not an absolute scale of measurement. The referrence used for 0dB varies according to the circumstances for which the signal is being measured.

To calculate dB for amplitude, the formula the is dB=20 Log(Amp / RefAmp). To calculate dB for power, the formula is dB=10 Log(Power / RefPower).

Nbaula,

it should work for every balanced output preamp. You must choose the output resistors (1k-2k) and then calculate the shunt resistor to get the desired attenuation. I´ve got a small excel sheet attached. Here you can calculate the neccesarry resistor values, look at the output impedance and the errors you get when choosing real world resistors.

William

Attachments

• balanced-attenuator.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 162
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.