Aleph P 10uf Capacitor Selection Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stabist said:
Hi!

I'm deciding to build ot or not to build AlephP - and one of major costs are these 10uF caps ... I have a chance to get Elna Cerafine 10uF/35V for a very reasonable price! - but not sure will their voltage range be enough? Any prastical experiences with voltage?

Thanks

Hi Stabist,
Nice to see you here. My Aleph P is working almost two months now, and whenever I measured the voltage at the 10uF caps it was never more than 27V at the output caps. It's half of that at the input caps. You are safe with 35V caps.

Hi bbakota!

Nice to see you here :D

Thanks for practical experiences with AP ...

Btw - from today on I'm proud owner of a BZLS :D (so AP will wait a little longer now) - I just have to finish it now - it still needs a chassis and attenuation regulation ... Searching for something not to expensive ...

I'll second Jim Wilson's recommendation for the ASC X363 polypropylene caps. Reliable (certainly more so than the Solens), measure well, and subjectively are fairly neutral and natural-sounding. The 400V series are suitable for phono EQ applications as well (the lower voltage ranges sound somewhat softer, more diffused focus, with less sense of "body", but still are not bad at all). You can get the X363s made to +/-1% values, and IME, the tolerances on the finished parts will be appreciably more accurate than specified.

OTOH, if you want a more spectacular or "audiophile-sounding" capacitor, you may find the X363s somewhat boring to listen to.

Allied Electronics catalog pages downloadable from here:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Catalog/I...591569&DESC=Capacitors&IND=M&LVL=A&MID=591568

hth, jonathan carr

eton-cap anyone???

I recently acquired a pair of 10uF polypropylene eton-cap caps.

Can't seemd to find out anything about them. Any of you know anything abou them? It will be a couple of weeks before I can get around to listening, but I'm curious in the meantime ...

thanks!
mlloyd1

Peter,

That's a great review and quite useful.

I have previously used the Solen and Hovlands and can agree on the findings generally.

I recall trading some Hovlands to Cyclotron Man some time ago (aka Passlabs speaker builder & quite a tweeker himself) and wonder what his experiences have been?

The 1837 is new to me and I must try it.

Here is a graph from the 1837 and possible tells some technical facts behind the performance of this amazing little capacitor.

Ian

Attachments

• 1837.jpg
    1837.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 926
Review!

Peter-Macka,
yes of course it is a great review.I had some interesting experience with ASC oil caps.When I bought them for totally diferent purpose,as a PSU filter caps for tube amp,I simply put them in x/o of my Maggies which had previously Solen factory installed caps.What a dissapointment I experienced!A dull sound withot details,compressed,mushy...Solens were three classes better!Then I put them back in the PSU and never made any further experiments.Since in the review it is mentioned that they need brake-in period for a couple of days and then change to sound wonderfully,I am wondering if it is true or false because they are primarilly PP caps!They even do not look like an any ordinary coupling cap(geometry,size,shape...).I can understand the same case with the BG's which is explained very well(forming of the layer etc.) but wih those ASC's......?Any experience?

Regards,
Yugovitz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.