Aleph P 1.7 Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use, like written frequently before, best Electrolytics as coupling caps – and strongly prefer them to foil caps after many tests. Electrolytics sound much faster, dynamic and more open, why ever. To get rid of their last harshness use small bypass caps, best 10-22nF MKP type. So my ultra reasonable coupling cap is Panasonic FC + Vishay Roederstein 10nF 1837 or similar

I was just going to mention about your good expirences with Panasonic FC ,as I remember your posts.
I suppose BG N will be a tiny bit better at that purpose but much more expensive.
Audiophile plipropylenes very often perform just very bad.Only very expensive ones are good!

I use values of 220uF – causing a start up delay (till the caps are loaded, especially the input branch cap) of the circuit. But no problem at all… Values of 22, 47, 100uF would be appropriate. Check it out…

Do you mean as signal coupling cap?
Why such high values?

Bartek

zygibajt said:

Do you mean as signal coupling cap?
Why such high values?

Bartek

Hi,
I have not tested BG N type, but I can just assume that they can not be so much better - because the FC is so much better than other electrolytics.

I used this high value caps because I had them. And another idea: failure minimization. Everywhere in my setup (D1 modified output DAC stage, P1.7, Aleph4) I use exactly the same FC 220uF type, so hopefully I hear three times the same failure character, just three times stronger. I assume that three times is less bad than tree different failure types overlaid and modulated. Hopefully…

Another reason could be from the world of parasitic effects. Compare a e.g. 100 to a 220uF FC. The 220 type has the better bass and more control. Maybe, because it couples "harder" due to less impedance?!?

Regards

Klaus

I bought most of my Aleph P 1.7 parts and made some changes. I was going to use whatever I could get my hands on but instead went with Black Gate "N" type capacitors for the coupling caps, Nichicon for the filter caps, Roederstein for the resistors, Cardas for the chassis mount RCA connectors, Vampire for the chassis mount XLR connectors, Plitron for the Toroidal Transformers and Dact for the attenuators. I spent a bundle today. I hope these parts will enable me to reproduce some of the wonderful things that have been said in this thread about the Aleph P 1.7.

I bought most of my Aleph P 1.7 parts and made some changes. I was going to use whatever I could get my hands on but instead went with Black Gate "N" type capacitors for the coupling caps, Nichicon for the filter caps, Roederstein for the resistors, Cardas for the chassis mount RCA connectors, Vampire for the chassis mount XLR connectors, Plitron for the Toroidal Transformers and Dact for the attenuators. I spent a bundle today. I hope these parts will enable me to reproduce some of the wonderful things that have been said in this thread about the Aleph P 1.7

Great choice :)

Just observe orientation on those BG coupling caps. One way (depending if input or output connected to shorter lead) they will sound better than the other.

PS: FWIW, BG N caps are much better than Panasonic FC. I don't think you can find better sounding electrolytic than that. And for coupling it's better than most film caps.;)

Peter Daniel said:
PS: FWIW, BG N caps are much better than Panasonic FC. I don't think you can find better sounding electrolytic than that. And for coupling it's better than most film caps.;)

Hi Peter,

I have heard from some guys this statement: if BG N are100%, then FC reach 95%. But do you also talk about FC´s bypassed with small film caps? Of course you will, right?! That really makes the difference. W/O bypass the FC still sound a bit nasty, but with them in I can not complain. But I will test BG N 100uF 50V soon…

Attention: the Aleph P1.7 has 27V on the output cap and the half on the input. So use the 50V BGs. Nice comparison, BG N 100uF 50V for ca. 12$, FC for ca. 0,50$ plus ca. 1$ for the filnmbypass.

Regards

Klaus

Nelson Pass said:
You probably have resolved this by now, but this is just
a dumb passive decoupling network to remove the last
ounce of noise from the supply. Just about any value will
do.

I have mainly talked about the signal coupling caps at input and output. Originally 10uF and 3 x 10uF. I proposed electrolytic caps with 47-100uF for them.

Maybe you mean the filter Caps behind the 3.3Ohm in line Resistors, 1.000uF quoted?!

Regards

Klaus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.