• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Aleph J-X pcb group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The boards are already here, will start shipping them out this week.

Attachments

• ajx11.jpg
    ajx11.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,547
All the boards have been shipped last week.

I started populating first board and I noticed there is a small error in the input section: there are two caps marked C4, the one closer to fets should be actually C1. It seems like originally a small film cap has been used there ( DigiKey part# 3019PH ), you can also use a regular electrolytic.

As to resistors, I recommend Dale CMF 50 available from DigiKey. The 3W Panasonics are out of stock presently, you can also use Dale CWB-.51CT-ND or 5W Mills

The board pictured below has some resistors with different values, as this is what I had on hand.

Attachments

• AJ-pcbw.jpg
    AJ-pcbw.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,087
I got my boards yesterday as well and they look very nice! Thanks for your efforts Peter!

Perhaps a build thread should be started to help out newbies to a Pass design like me, I'm working my way through the old Aleph J threads but not done yet. I've built several chipamps, an Aikido, and a tubelab simple se, but this is my first discrete transistor amp.

I had noticed the silkscreen error for C1 when I was trying to assemble a parts order last night, it looks like a wima mks2 1uf 63v should fit nicely there. Don't really want to plug up the GB thread with build questions, but I wanted to make sure of a few things before I place the order.

I had chosen CMF55 resistors for all but the 3W ones. How important is quality on those? would Xicon metal oxide ones be significantly worse than more "audiophilic" ones in those positions? Would non-inductive wirewound resistors be a waste of money?

I am not at all familiar with zener diodes, what would be the minimum wattage needed for Z1?

I saw some pictures of other builds with trimpots, where would those be used and why?

Also a heads up, there is an ebay seller in the US that has over 700 2SJ109 for sale...

I had chosen CMF55 resistors for all but the 3W ones. How important is quality on those? would Xicon metal oxide ones be significantly worse than more "audiophilic" ones in those positions? Would non-inductive wirewound resistors be a waste of money?

I am not at all familiar with zener diodes, what would be the minimum wattage needed for Z1?

I saw some pictures of other builds with trimpots, where would those be used and why?

CMF55 will only fit vertically, CMF50 fit directly on the board. With miniature resistors, you have a choice of Panasonics, Xicon, BC Components and probably few others, but if I'm not using Vishays or Caddocks, my choice always goes to Dale.

3W Dale CWB-.51CT-ND are wirewounds and they cost less than a dollar.

Either 1/2 or 1W Zener will work fine.

The trimpots are used with an X version were you can fine tune the offset, IIRC.

Hi Peter received the boards. thank you. The AJ-x schematic for a non electronics expert like myself is quite complex in terms of how it fits in with the main boards might just build the aj only. Otherwise i will have to read back through this and other threads to get a grip on what is needed. I'm a bit too pushed for time i guess:spin::spin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.