Aleph J-X Amp Project

My computer motherboard crashed so I am purchasing a new computer for the purpose of continuing on learning and developeing my computer animation skills, so I have not been able to purchase the last $700.00 worth of parts and equipment to finnish my Aleph J-X mono blocks for a couple of months.

I cant wait to finnish it, and now it will be a couple of more months.

Thanks for listening everyone

Ian Scaiff

Will do! I don't have any plans to build another J after this one since after I finish this I have a bunch of BrianGT's Aleph30/60 boards I want to build up and they don't use the IRFP240.

Hi Luke352,

The aleph 30/60 are an older iteration of the aleph J. Personally i would try another amp if it were me. Maybe I misunderstood and your building an AJX amp?
If you are going tobuild severalalephs it may be worth buying some fets from Vishay PCS - IRFP240PBF - Semiconductors - Discrete MOSFETs - Allied Electronics

you will get plenty of matched sets from a 100,and maybe you can sell whats left over in the swap meet.

Hi Luke352,

The aleph 30/60 are an older iteration of the aleph J. Personally i would try another amp if it were me. Maybe I misunderstood and your building an AJX amp?
If you are going tobuild severalalephs it may be worth buying some fets from Vishay PCS - IRFP240PBF - Semiconductors - Discrete MOSFETs - Allied Electronics

you will get plenty of matched sets from a 100,and maybe you can sell whats left over in the swap meet.

I'm building an Aleph J because it comes in parts wise considerably cheaper then the Aleph 30/60. So the plan is to cut my teeth on the J then attack the 30/60 with a longer build period and bigger budget. My only other builds have been a LM1875 chip amp and a RC preamp selector but I didn't need much electrical knowledge to build them so I'm trying to lear as much as I can before I assemble and am ready for power on the J.

The J and the 30 are really close to the same, parts, heat and money wise. The J biases up a little hotter per fet but is close to identical total heat. If you have the parts, build a mini Aleph to study. You really need to understand the Aleph amps before you try to build an X amp.

I've got the Brian GT Aleph 30 boards and PS boards. Now that i've managed to produce a BOM for the J I see it really isn't much cheaper only about $30-$40 overall parts wise. Do you see there would be much difference between building an Aleph mini vs an Aleph 30 difficulty wise. As I understood it (and I'm most likely wrong), it was just a case of using two output boards vs one. Because if this is the case I might build the 30 first as there seems to be more information at hand to build a 30 for someone inexpreieinced like myself.

The BrianGT boards were made to make any of the Alephs, including the mini. A mini doesn't use any output boards, everything goes on the main board. It's good for 10-12 watts with a 12-0-12 trafo at around 2.5A per channel. Moving up to a 30 would involve a bigger trafo and PS and more output fets, and naturally bigger heatsinks.

You're right about the 30 in that lots of people have documented their builds. Using the BrianGT boards for the J can be done but there is quite a few parts changes and a few jumpers and twisting transistor leads around to match the board layout.

Attachments

• 312883[1].pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 117
Aleph J-X pcb boards

The BrianGT boards were made to make any of the Alephs, including the mini. A mini doesn't use any output boards, everything goes on the main board. It's good for 10-12 watts with a 12-0-12 trafo at around 2.5A per channel. Moving up to a 30 would involve a bigger trafo and PS and more output fets, and naturally bigger heatsinks.

You're right about the 30 in that lots of people have documented their builds. Using the BrianGT boards for the J can be done but there is quite a few parts changes and a few jumpers and twisting transistor leads around to match the board layout.

Hi Bill,

I need to know how to populate and connect the three pieces of the Aleph J-X pcb. Do I first populate the middle piece and then connect it together with the other two, what connections have to be made to link the three pieces together electronically ? I have no idea on how to approach this with out help ?

Thank You for your help

Ian

Ian

Look carefully at the outlined regions on the two larger boards. The smaller centre piece is just like them, except at each end are 4 holes that align with 4 holes in the regions on the large boards. Populate the smaller board using an Aleph J schem as a guide, as though it's the outlined region, and then connect it to the larger boards with only those 4 holes at each end. Use some thin rod or spare component leads or something. Check my sig link for a picture of how it overlays. You're going to need data on building the Aleph J. Aleph J Schematic