Aleph J illustrated build guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm just trying to help people build successfully! The amps are so good, they really are the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

It's a 2-part winning process, you learn something and have the wonderful experience of building the amp, and then you get to listen to it!

The Aleph J is, in my opinion, the crowning glory of NP's designs, and in his opinion, the best of the Aleph series.

My problem with to little bias on Aleph J fixed. But 68k i series with the 100k trimpot was way to much. A 10 k resistor instead of the jumper in R27 position was fine to get the a bias up to 400mV
Zen Mode wrote: "well , nothing wrong with extra options , I'm just witness that boyz are often confused".
Why cant important corrections like this be taken into the first post of this thread. I went through a lot of post to see if the "R27 problem" have been discussed. It ended up with a "unnesessary"question in this thread. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Eivind S

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Almost there

I completed the build of my Aleph J and the only missing part is a zener diode I will get tomorrow:)

I plan to test the amp with a bench supply before hooking the amp up to the dedicated supply, but there is something that I don't understand..
In this post sound happy does so using a +25V/0V supply, while I would think the correct would be to use a bipolar +25V/0V/-25V supply.
What am I missing?

Also, I read somewhere that the AJ pulls much more current from the positive rail. Does anybody have some numbers on this? I'm just trying to understand what to expect so that I can set the current limiters on the bench supply in a meaningful way.

Thanks!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

Here's an Aleph-J in a store 4U chassis wired with XLR inputs. The jfets
are 2sj108V instead of the more customary 2sj74/lsj74. The IRFP240
mosfets were curve traced and matched at 850mA. PSU consists of
a 2x18VAC 300VA Plitron and 8x22000 uF caps in CRC (R~0.12 ohm)

Bias was set at ~1.7A (0.4V over 0.47R source resistor) after about 1
hour. It sounded fine with the test speakers.

I hope in the coming weeks to get some time to run it in,
recheck and adjust the bias and offsets, before trying it with
the main speakers.

Thanks to Papa for this wonderful design and Jim for the build guide.

Cheers,
Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_9446.jpg
    IMG_9446.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 1,170
  • IMG_9449.jpg
    IMG_9449.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_9451.jpg
    IMG_9451.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,161
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks guys.

I have a soft spot for the Aleph, (my main amp for over 10 years was a DIY A30)
and I look forward to spending some quality time with the Aleph-J.

It's nice to be able to do some diy work again. Next up should be the vfet2 amp
and hopefully I can slowly work back up to an SMD project I had to abandon a
few months ago.

Cheers,
Dennis

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Congratulations - looks great!

I also finished mine a few days ago, but unfortunately I have some problems with oscillations and the bias (can't get it above 0.32-0.35V). The same circuit as the store boards, but using PCBs made by a friend. I'm trying different things but till now without success:(

Any known causes (and remedies) for oscillations of the Aleph J?

Cheers,

Nic