Aleph J illustrated build guide

Taping the holes will raise the area around the hole. Over tightening the bolts will do the same thing. I use a file to level the surface. Sandpaper with a flat board will work as well just slower. If you show no short it is not the problem of smoke but not being flat could make one of the mosfets run too hot by not being seated to the heatsink.

Do as Zen Mod stated first and go from there. If everything is installed correctly including the voltage wires it sounds like a wrong value something somewhere. Not a lot of components so you should be able to find the problem.

Last edited:
Taping the holes will raise the area around the hole. Over tightening the bolts will do the same thing. I use a file to level the surface. Sandpaper with a flat board will work as well just slower. If you show no short it is not the problem of smoke but not being flat could make one of the mosfets run too hot by not being seated to the heatsink.

Do as Zen Mod stated first and go from there. If everything is installed correctly including the voltage wires it sounds like a wrong value something somewhere. Not a lot of components so you should be able to find the problem.

I think you may be right couple of mosfets looks like burnt because of no proper mounting on the heat sinks because of the mounting holes. I removed the board from the heat sinks and checked for all the components but looks like the mosfets have gone.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I haven't got the time to do the diode test but did a ohm test and it looks like some resistance between the legs is present and its fairly similar with other mosfets as well for the same legs. I hope the mosfets are not conked :). Drilled and tapped a new set of holes on the heat sinks for the mosfets and refitted and did the test again but still the DC voltage on the output is 17.3V.

I hope this isn't too much to ask, but can someone explain to me or P.M. me the rundown of what's happening in the aleph schematic? I'm a little green on reading solid state schematics and I'm finding it difficult to understand what is going on within the aleph. Perhaps I'm just not familiar with the type of topology.This will be my first solid state build but I don't like to build things I don't understand.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
too many variables (speaker/room combinations) possible , combined with too many pairs of ears

however , constructor/manufacturer needs to make his own choices ..... by memory , that ratio isn't fixed/same in all Aleph amps

in any case , so called Aleph AC gain isn't highest thing on the list , when one tries to grasp entire shebang