Aleph J illustrated build guide

Strange oscillation...

Hi all,

Have been listening to this baby for some hours now, sounds great and get no longer abouve 50 degrees.

But... every few minutes i hear an awful oscillation. I saw in the building instructions something about replacing two jumpers (R6 & R30)
Anybody some suggestions about values ?

I think R6 should be 562ohms, but R30 ....

Regards,
Nick

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wire Gauge suggestions for my AlephJ

I'm about to order wire from apex Jr, (Just basic PTFE stranded and a little solid core) and finally wire up my Aleph J. Unless a better suggestion, I thought of using 22 gauge solid core for the input signal to the Amp boards, 18 gauge stranded or 18 gauge solid for the amp boards to Output posts to speaker.

Sound about right? For the power supply board to rectifier bridge I thought 16 gauge? I am not sure how large the board holes will easily allow...and from power supply board to the amp board, maybe 14 gauge? Or is that getting too large?

On my F5 I used a lot of the same wire, and doubled it up where it needed to be heavier, but I thought I would do this one a little nicer and use proper sized and color of wire for a more finished look.

Looking at 6L6s pics from the beginning of this guide, it looks like 20-22 for input signal, 18 or so for signal to speaker posts, but the power supply to amp boards, as well as other power cables look much larger!

Otherwise, I guess I can call Apex and purchase small lengths of different gauges and see how large of wire will fit the various holes.

Any thoughts on this much appreciated!

Russellc

This is a really excellent thread, lots of great information and the step by step build is very helpful! I've read about 27 pages of this thread, still need to do a little more, so please forgive me if something here has been answered already.

I picked up the Antek 600VA 18v AN-6218 xformer. Overkill I know, but it was only $65. What parts need to change to accomodate this larger transformer?

The power supply caps I sourced for the universal PSU are 40v, which gives them a little headroom. I was going to go ahead and use a pair of the GBPC3502-E4/51.

In regards to the resistors for the Aleph J boards, is it permissible to use approximate resistor values (e.g. 22K rather than 22K1). Reason being I like to use carbon film rather than metal film. They'd be within 2-3%.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm about to order wire from apex Jr, (Just basic PTFE stranded and a little solid core) and finally wire up my Aleph J. Unless a better suggestion, I thought of using 22 gauge solid core for the input signal to the Amp boards, 18 gauge stranded or 18 gauge solid for the amp boards to Output posts to speaker.

Sound about right? For the power supply board to rectifier bridge I thought 16 gauge? I am not sure how large the board holes will easily allow...and from power supply board to the amp board, maybe 14 gauge? Or is that getting too large?

On my F5 I used a lot of the same wire, and doubled it up where it needed to be heavier, but I thought I would do this one a little nicer and use proper sized and color of wire for a more finished look.

Looking at 6L6s pics from the beginning of this guide, it looks like 20-22 for input signal, 18 or so for signal to speaker posts, but the power supply to amp boards, as well as other power cables look much larger!

Otherwise, I guess I can call Apex and purchase small lengths of different gauges and see how large of wire will fit the various holes.

Any thoughts on this much appreciated!

Russellc

OK, maybe its not that critical. I will order the one foot bits of the gauges in question and see how they fit with the Aleph J boards.

Russellc

OK, maybe its not that critical. I will order the one foot bits of the gauges in question and see how they fit with the Aleph J boards.

Russellc

For the distances you are wiring, larger gauge wire is not necessary as you will not experience any voltage drop within the chassis and everything runs far below the current rating of 20-22-gauge wire:

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire breaking strength

Russellc

Russell you may want to go to ace hardware and buy a foot of several different gage wire to see what will work that's what I did. 16 seems too large for the power supply to amp boards mine looks like 18. At the inputs I used kimber TCSS 19 gage which is larger than most people used. 18 gage stranded Teflon coated at the output. Hope that helps.

Bob

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This just the info I was looking for. I have a little wire left from a F-5 build, but it didnt have any markings. I was wanting to order proper colors and didnt want too large of a gauge, requiring "thinning" the multi strand or reaming the hole.

I am going to order enough for another F5, wiring to complete my Pearl, as well as the Turbo F-5 build I have shelved for now. Several other Pass Projects, Alephs, Original Zen boards as well as Bride of Zen, and a few others from the Old Colony Days....I'd say its high time!

Thanks again,

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member