Aleph J illustrated build guide

Aleph J builders thread

dissappeared from the Front Page of this forum (which had me worried), and as I had a question anyway, here goes (forgive me, I'm new to transistors): Does a spreadsheet (or reasonable facimile) exist (in one complete file) for the small parts needed to build an Aleph J, F5, F5T, and any other version of Aleph ? What I mean is, eventually I will end up building at least 4 different DIY Pass amplifiers, It would be nice to know in advance how many of a particular value of capacitor, resistor, diode, transistor, etc. are required to build, say, four different amplifiers. As I usually buy a minimum of ten pieces of everything anyways, it would be really helpful to know in advance what I will be needing "quantity wise" of a particular value in small parts . thanks, Paul

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
KevinTams -

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Input from single ended is -- RCA center to +IN, RCA outer to GND, jumper -IN to GND.

IMG_1708.jpg

Thats the best photo I have, it's a little small, sorry. But you can see the fine blue wire from -IN to GND, the white fom RCA outer to GND, and Blue, RCA center, to +IN

Where is C1? omitting that is going to cause problems. Are your Jfets still good?

Last edited:
KevinTams -

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Input from single ended is -- RCA center to +IN, RCA outer to GND, jumper -IN to GND.

IMG_1708.jpg

Thats the best photo I have, it's a little small, sorry. But you can see the fine blue wire from -IN to GND, the white fom RCA outer to GND, and Blue, RCA center, to +IN

Where is C1? omitting that is going to cause problems. Are your Jfets still good?

Hi, so I finished the first of two Aleph J amp:) And the sound good, as good as I had hoped.

But there is a little hum from speakers, when only the amp is on, is normal or what?

When I turn it off, it gives the bass unit a large puf but doesn't say anything. What can be wrong?

I have installed soft start board

I am missing the front

Krath

Attachments

• IMAG0696.jpg
    IMAG0696.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMAG0699.jpg
    IMAG0699.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMAG0700.jpg
    IMAG0700.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 991
  • IMAG0702.jpg
    IMAG0702.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I worked hard to keep my input and output wiring as far away from AC cables and the transformer as possible. I still have a power on noise, despite a soft start board too. I get a tolerable power off noise. No hum from my amp, with sensitive speakers.

I also have an intermittent switch on the front that controls a solid state relay for on/off, and am unsure if that is causing my noise. I need to take a look at changing the capacitor to further retard the power on process. Either that or scrap the soft start and just try the slow start with the CL-60s. The oversized 400VA tranny, and similarly oversized cap bank are somewhat at fault.

I am just about finished with my Aleph J. Thanks to all the input that I got here and particularly to 6L6 for his guidance and interest. There were a few speed bumps but they were my own doing.

I tried to use the spades and faston connectors where I could. I am in pretty good shape if I want to swap out the amp boards.

I am not getting any hum, so far, but do get an audible "bump" on turn off.
I did a quick audio audition and I am very satisfied. I used a couple of PSB Alpha B1s (Alphas for the Aleph?) in the quick set up and the Aleph J seemed to beg for better speakers. Any input on that would be appreciated for both stock and DIY suggestions.
I'm still in the adjustment stage and have to button everything up, but I did put a few pictures on my Gallery page. This was a great project with a great product at the end of it.

Last edited:
Hi krath, very nice. Good idea to use two transformers and two PSU boards. Your can try these steps:
1) reduce the area between the wires connected to the RCA connector.
2) Reduce the area between the wires connecting to the diodes.
3) Perhaps the wires that connect the PSU to the PCB are too long.
4) Pin 1 of the XLR is conneced to the wrong place ( see: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...udio-component-grounding-interconnection.html )