Aleph J illustrated build guide

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
all audio gnd wires in system must be connected to one point (on PSU pcb) only

I see from last pic (#2691) gnds (lilac wires) are going from two different terminal blocks

no good

from same point , wire to NTC , then to chassis

is it possible to find mid point for GND , between these two terminal blocks ?

I'm asking because I'm not familiar with these (Store?) PSU pcbs ......

all audio gnd wires in system must be connected to one point (on PSU pcb) only

I see from last pic (#2691) gnds (lilac wires) are going from two different terminal blocks

no good

....ok I see...
6L6 did the same on the build guide for the PSU board!

from same point , wire to NTC , then to chassis

is it possible to find mid point for GND , between these two terminal blocks ?

.....I can use the two spade connections.....this would be the mid point!

I'm asking because I'm not familiar with these (Store?) PSU pcbs ......

Yes it’s the DIY Audio store PSU board

Attachments

• 7647ACC4-5912-4409-A321-35C0F4416E7D.jpeg
    7647ACC4-5912-4409-A321-35C0F4416E7D.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 545
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have used the diyAudio ps board, although not in an Aleph J, and I used one block for all grounds and I connected the two blocks together with a short heavy gauge wire.

I see that there are empty pads at the ground of both sides of the supply. It wouldn't hurt to connect the two sides together with more wires to the empty pads.

Last edited:
Hum stays.....

It took me a while to return to my audio projects.
I tried quite a lot; tied all grounds together trying diffrent connections; both spade ground connectors and both ground screw terminals and connected the spade grounds with a heavy gauge wire;shorted shield wire of the transformer.
Hum stays....:confused:
But only on right channel,if I’m using my passive preamp which has no common ground for left and right channel.....
Hooked up to my ldr preamp(which has common ground) hum is on both channels.
So it should be a problem of the right channel!?
Any suggestions what I can do?
Besides th hum the amp is sounding great!
Thanks
Gregor

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it is very important where on pcb is main GND point - point where you don't have any pulsating current

I can't see that you took GND takeout to both pcbs from same point as 6L6 did

take a good look again at his build , and see if there is any difference

as I see it , he took GND from centrally placed lugs ....... where centraly is crucial ..... and he took GND wires from same lug

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No real difference between spadelugs and the terminal blocks. All is similar, particularly if there are good connections between both sides of ground. (and his build has enough)

I used spade in that particular build only to try it and illustrate that it could be used.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK

some tiresome tests:

- what's happening when just left channel is connected to PSU , with open RCA , shorted RCA and fed from preamp?

- what's happening when just right channel is connected to PSU , with open RCA , shorted RCA and fed from preamp?

in both cases "happening" means - what you hear in speaker ? do not forget to power off while messing with input RCA connections

It took me a while to return to my audio projects.
I tried quite a lot; tied all grounds together trying diffrent connections; both spade ground connectors and both ground screw terminals and connected the spade grounds with a heavy gauge wire;shorted shield wire of the transformer.
Hum stays....:confused:
But only on right channel,if I’m using my passive preamp which has no common ground for left and right channel.....
Hooked up to my ldr preamp(which has common ground) hum is on both channels.
So it should be a problem of the right channel!?
Any suggestions what I can do?
Besides th hum the amp is sounding great!
Thanks
Gregor

when troubleshooting any problem, the process of elimination is the best approach. try a different pre-amp, different a/c plug, different amp, different input (tuner, cd, phono, etc.), etc. etc. etc. once the defective device is discovered, you repeat the same within the device.

you don't seem to have followed this or have not indicated that you have followed this.

again, my 2cents.

To answer the tests first
OK

some tiresome tests:

- what's happening when just left channel is connected to PSU , with open RCA
...slight hum

, shorted RCA
......dead quiet

and fed from preamp?
.......nearly quiet

- what's happening when just right channel is connected to PSU , with open RCA
......slight hum

, shorted RCA
....dead quiet

and fed from preamp?
.....INCREDIBLE LOUD BUZZ :eek:.....AFRAID I‘VE BLOWN MY SPEAKER

in both cases "happening" means - what you hear in speaker ? do not forget to power off while messing with input RCA connections