Aleph J Dim Bulb Tester Post

What does "tripped a shutoff" mean? You mean your homes electrical panel circuit breaker tripped? That is no good. You can test the circuit without it plugged in just using a DMM on measure resistance mode. The DMM properly used will "set you free" and requires no AC power to be used.

Your photos don't really provide enough info and @mhenschel is right that of you must understand how that combo switch/outlet works. I looked at your drawing/schematic and I was still confused what connects where. More photos specifically showing every connection would help.

I would disconnect the device and use a continuity tester to see what's connected to what when the switch is in each position.

typically these devices are not operationally connected internally... the switch and the outlet are powered in parallel and work independently. the outlet is not switched as it comes out of the box.

pay attention to any links between them too.

Try this:
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 10-26-39 Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 00-47-17 outlet-feed-switched-outle...png

Reactions: 1 user
@birdbox
as they say in New York... check it out. (just like you measure every resistor before you solder it into place)
I'd be vastly surprised if there was a link where you suggest... the essential expected function of this combination device would be profoundly compromised -- it would operate to create a short and trip the breaker. not terribly useful.

Fair, all I'm saying is one side may have a built in bridge, and it may not be the side in your drawing. I don't know what the connections are. You're drawing assumes the user makes a connection on the right side, but that may, or may not, be the case. My assumption is the switch does not control the outlet and is simply a two in one package independent of each other. Pics would solve all the assuming.

I'll back away and let the experts figure this one out. My DBT works great, but I used a standard switch, not a combo deal.

Last edited:
Note that @chrisng pic may not show the connection that you often need to break away, which is the metal "bridge" on the outlet (if it has one). An actual picture of each side of that switch/outlet combo would clarify. Same with the dual outlet.
View attachment 1301637
Thats all good but the switch side to duplex outlet should be made with a black wire as it IS the hot. Red or blue is also acceptable