Aleph Heat Up Time?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All heat sink square inches are not created equally. If your fins are that tighly spaced, there will not be as much natural convection airflow between them as with wider spacing. You may need a fan with sinks like JasonL's if you try an aleph2.

For reference, I have about the same surface area on my A-75 sinks, which are roughly 6.5" x 10" x 1.5" with 16 fins. I get a 32 degree C rise with 75 watts on each sink. If you cannot find any data for an extrusion similar to yours you can mount a high power resistor and measure the rise for your expected load to see how hot you'll get.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL asked me to post this concept pic i did for him...

dave

Attachments

• jasonl-alephconcept.gif
    jasonl-alephconcept.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 239
Fans will help a lot! It's amazing how moving just a little bit of
air over a heatsink will help dissipate heat a lot. Maybe even add
a couple of more fans and run them at slow speeds - so they're
pretty quiet.

Go for it!

the funny thing about heatsinks... when you think you have enough,
double it! then you might be safe :devilr:

Aye, if fans are in the equation then it should work. Tunnel heatsinks have a long and honorable track record.
Slow enough fans are indeed pretty quiet. Back in the old days, I used to take two of the original Boxer fans and run them in series--dropped the RPMs considerably, thus quieting that annoying whine. These days the fans are quieter to begin with and can be made nearly silent if you slow them down enough. Just don't go so slow that you're back to convection rates of air flow.
Keep an eye on that hole in the bottom. If you put the amp on carpet, it can slow or even stop the air flow. A board underneath the amp will take care of the problem. If the amp is on a hard shelf or in a rack, then you should be okay.
Go for it.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.