Aleph 5 Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
coils

Thanks for the post about Accusonic, thru them I've just talked the coil maker and get a rough estimate; if Toronto and surrounding guys interested we can get a bulk buy here too. The air coil I have asked them is a 2mH with 14 guage for around $12cdn approx. Will get the price firm up after the 6th/Jan 2003 due to shop close up for the season.
I am thinking to get 12 pieces, they don't want to do bigger wire guage than 14awg becasue of machining limits.

Interested?

Chris

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: coils

chris ma said:
Thanks for the post about Accusonic, thru them I've just talked the coil maker and get a rough estimate; if Toronto and surrounding guys interested we can get a bulk buy here too. The air coil I have asked them is a 2mH with 14 guage for around $12cdn approx. Will get the price firm up after the 6th/Jan 2003 due to shop close up for the season.
I am thinking to get 12 pieces, they don't want to do bigger wire guage than 14awg becasue of machining limits.

Interested?

Chris

That seems like a good price. Too bad they don't want to
go with larger gauge wire.

I'll be interested in a few pieces.

Dennis

Re: coils

chris ma said:

Interested?

Chris

Your Welcome, 14 gauge is good for 13 Amps continuos and I would be interested in a few.

Anthony

if "NP's recommendation appears to be at least 3x maximum power consumption. See www.passdiy.com for guidance. So you should go for 500VA each channel with an Aleph 5 at the very least." and amplifier power consumtion is 300 watts all the time, therefore wouldnt the required minimum be 3 x 300 hence 900?

The 300W in the Aleph specs refers to a stereo unit, so that gives consumption of 150W each channel. 500VA trafo each channel therefore greater than 3 times max. power consumption. Sorry for delay in making a reply, just got back from holiday.

Regards

Paul

Hi,

Got some more info regarding the coils since last Christmas.

It is a 14awg 2mH air coil.
Minimum order 50 @ $10.80cdn plus tax.
Lead time 1 week.
Cash, cheque or money order, no credit cards.
Due to the weight of the coils, I recommend this only for the folks around Toronto area.

How do you guys want to do it? I can paid and pick them up first and we can meet downtown and divide them up among us and deal with cash only.
May be Sunday lunch in a pub somewhere easy for everyone to find and park?

So it will be $12.42cdn each.
I am buying 12, and we need at least 50 to make the order valid.
Any other suggestion?
Chris

chris ma said:
Hi,

Lead time 1 week.
Due to the weight of the coils, I recommend this only for the folks around Toronto area.

How do you guys want to do it? I can paid and pick them up first and we can meet downtown and divide them up among us and deal with cash only.

Any other suggestion?
Chris

You could try starting a Wiki so people could sign up for thier coils. Use Pay Pal to collect the money, and Postal service shipping should be worthwhile considering the cost savings.

Anthony

I will take 6

chris ma said:
Hi,

Lead time 1 week.

Any other suggestion?
Chris

Hello Chris did you ever get the Inductors, I am still looking for 6.

Anthony

Bob,
Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, it has the same approx resistance (and in turn, same voltage drop) as the other inductor that is dragging the voltage down. The ferrite core one shows promise though, but I have never used one in PSU, only air cores. Any audible difference?

My Aleph 5 PS

I have one question about Aleph 5 power supply.
Mr. Nelson use 4x25.000uF for stereo amp. I'll use 2x69000uF/50V capacitor made by Sprague (36D). Are these caps will be enough for stereo Aleph 5 without additional inductors ???

I allready have 750VA rating toroid transformer, but it's not quite good (it's buzz) and I'll replace it with 900VA rating toroid transformer with 4x25V sec. This must be more that enough. ?

best regards,
LEON

Hello kirc,

Try to use the inductors in the power supply.
They are well worth it to spend extra money on them, also
I think that they are very cheap in Slovenia, like in Croatia.
The 1.2 mH and up inductors should be used for the best results.
You can use those that are normally used in the speakers crossovers.

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.