Aleph 30 parts for Peter Daniel's boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heat Sinks

I have the P Daniel a30 pcb's as well. Parts Express may be a source for a transformer. To me the biggest issue is the heatsink. I was wondering if 2 extrusions 12"x5.375, .375 thick base plate with 1" tall fins would be enough cooling? They are available on ebay. I could also set up a computer fan for extra airflow.Any opinions on this?

Thanks
:xeye:

I picked up a six of these heatsinks from BGMicro. Their shipping is kinda high, but the price for the sinks makes it an ok deal.

I can't decide if I need to use two or three of them per channel.

Attachments

• sinks.jpg
    sinks.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 677
I just recieved my parts from

http://www.tech-diy.com/hexfets.htm

matched triplets of IRFP240's and pairs of IRF9610's

A note is in order. That site lists IRFP9610's. I corresponded to ask about that. They are IRF9610's. I'm sure there will be a change to the site when he gets around to it.
If you want to combine several items into one shipment it probably would be of benefit to send a note about that also.

The parts arrived in rails and anti-static bags. A good source.

Pathmark, looks like you will have good heatsinking, I have not yet bought any parts!
I think the thickness of the heatsink base plate is important, a thicker plate will spread the heat better and avoid local hot spots.Still looking at ebay. :)

Ed says
matched triplets
of Irfp240's

I assume the triplets will be close enough that 12 matched irfp240's are not necessary?
:rolleyes:

Fellas,

I also had good luck with tech-diy. I bought enough parts for 4 boards and everything is matched nicely. thanks for doing your homework ed.

I received heatsinks yesterday and they look great, thick base but as everyone keeps mentioning I am still worried about the heat.

Pathmark

JFTR,

the heatsinks Bugg got for his Aleph/30 are not only great, but so cheap that i'm too damn jealous to be nice.
Even by the 6 in a cheap USPS Mondiale box, they'd cost me an additional $15/pc in mailing and dot-dot-dot taxes to buy them myself.

Bugg can expect 0.35 C/W at the least from a single one of his heatsinks, possible even a lot less if it's an efficient design. I hate you, Bugg.

According to Rod Elliott's heatsink calculator spreadsheet they should do .39C/W. With only 2 fets on each one I would think this thing might almost be kid safe. I couldn't imagine finding anything this size for so cheap. They are used but the ones I got don't have any obvious scratches.

Don't worry Jacco my broccoli hates you too :smash:

~michael.

Thanks Ed, I also will order those same parts

steenoe says
just connect those fets, through leads

This would be a good way to spread the heat but will there be any performance change, perhaps speed and are additional parts needed to do this? :) :)

Digikey has the 3 watt panasonic .47r, part # is: PO.47W-3BK-ND, the no. will not work as a parts search, search this way in the parts window: panasonic .47, then scroll down to metal oxide[6] and you will find them .51 each or 5 for 2.38. At a certain order size, shipping is included[last time I did this]

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
JFTR,

the heatsinks Bugg got for his Aleph/30 are not only great, but so cheap that i'm too damn jealous to be nice.
Even by the 6 in a cheap USPS Mondiale box, they'd cost me an additional $15/pc in mailing and dot-dot-dot taxes to buy them myself.

Bugg can expect 0.35 C/W at the least from a single one of his heatsinks, possible even a lot less if it's an efficient design. I hate you, Bugg.

hehe
look at these.......each capable of coolin' ~50W with 25 Celsius rise above room temp.......
on pic-middle row,most right-you see two white marks ....of 50W Golden Dales ,used for measuring;

I have 4 more ,not on pic,slightly taller........

these 14 + 4 cost me 90 bloody Euros at junkyard.........they even lowered Al prices later........I hate them!

Attachments

• snks.jpg
    snks.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 460
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.