Aleph 2's Underway!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Till,

You could probably figure out his layout and duplicate it with some effort, if you really wanted to. Here is a picture that was posted of the bottom of his boards. I see no reason to.

--
Brian

Attachments

• epsn0023.jpg
    epsn0023.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 924
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Dale is organizing a re-order of the boards, with a couple of minor changes. There are a few thicker traces, and better mounting of Q4 and Q5. He has posted a thread at:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6104

He should have some boards left that have not been reserved. I didn't have the funds to organize another order, so I passed it on to him. They will work exactly the same, but will be a bit easier to soldier the Q4 and Q5 devices.

I sent you an e-mail also reguarding your earlier question.

--
Brian

thank you brian for posting the pic.

I didn´t wrote that he didn´t published his layout because its a special desire of me to copy his one. It´s just i searched the forum and the net for aleph layouts, printed everyone i could obtain, and are in process of compare. I´ll not make an aleph in the next days, i yesterday made PCB for ZEN V4 and will build this first. Last missing part for this are the heatsinks, i ordered 2 fischerelektronic SK438-150 AS and look forward to recive them in about 3 weeks. I will start collecting parts for an aleph 2 and descide which layout to use some weeks later. The professional PCBs are 10-20 times the price of a homemade even if the professional ones look much better -too expensive for me. For people like me who want´s to make PCBs at home it would be very great advantage to post pics or pdf in black and white and 1:1 of the layout instead of gerbers.

Till

I received my upsized heatsinks fomr M&M Metals today. Attached a photo comparison of the new next to the surplus units I was going to use. These were 22.00 each plus shipping. I'm kind of glad they came natural finish so I can pick the anodize color I want. Black is best for good heat disipation, but that gold anodize looks cool!

Also ahve the PCB's assembled using a pair of Brian GT's boards. All semi's are matched up. Now to start on the chassis, which I will do tonight.
Mark

Attachments

• generallayoutuse.jpg
    generallayoutuse.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 583
For those that were curious as to how I was going to attach these style heatsinks here it is.... Basically a frame that forms one side of the amplifier, and then attach the three heatsinks to the frame. This results in a very strong frame with just two screws countersunk at each corner.
After I machine the remaining three frames parts I may just have them heli-arced together to save some time. Todsys venture took 5 hours to complete Should be even stronger if welded, and then I can just mill the welds down to clean them flush with the rest of the parts. Am going to have the chassis powder coated black and the heatsinks anodized black (or perhaps that gold color).
Mark

Attachments

• hsa inside.jpg
    hsa inside.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 637
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
. Am going to have the chassis powder coated black and the heatsinks anodized black (or perhaps that gold color).
Mark

I would go for black anodized heatsinks, it's a dramatic improvement. A quote from Jan Didden in
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5307&highlight=heatsink+color

"- The radiation from the sink material to the ambient air solely depends on the color of the fins, not the material. There should be no difference in this respect between black Al or black Cu. The term used in this respect is *color temperature*."

I totally agree with you on the color black radiating the most heat. In my case I think there is enough heatsink to be able to anodize just about any color I want to. There is far more sq inches of sink per channel here than on the original 2's. I will probably go for black though as I'd like to kick up the bias a bit more as Brian GT suggested.
Mark

I found these on eBay and purchased 12 of them to build two Monoblock Aelph 1.2's. I contacted the seller directly and found they had 170 of them. They cost about $10 US ea, cheaper if you buy Qty 10 +

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anyone have any thoughts if 6 per monoblock is enough?

they are 4.875 length x 9.875 wide x 2.375 high

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.