Aleph 2 - The Final Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heavy Metal?

Now it's time for some serious heavy metal work.

Below is the Heatsink Assembly. I have 4 of these, 40cm x 50cm x 4cm, with a thermal resistance well below 0.2 K/W each...:cool:

As you can see, the mosfets are already pre-assembled, and again the PCB's have conformal coating. There is room for an additional set of fets here, should I find the amp could use an update (however unlikely) It can be done without an entire re-design... Even the holes are already there... :)

Note the penlight battery, I put it there for scale...

Attachments

• heatsink1.jpg
    heatsink1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,072
We should play this Aleph on your speakers man, I'm sure that will sound sweeeet... :)

This is me again performing the first functional tests... everything is working great... the switch on is still quite a "thump" for the mains, and you can see the lights flicker sometimes heheh...

In the front you can see the high-power dummy load I use for testing.. it saves me a lot of speakers this way...

I should here also acknowledge my sweet girlfriend... I'm the most lucky DIY audiophile in the world with a girlfriend actually helping me building these monsters... The dummy load is her work.

Attachments

• firsttest.jpg
    firsttest.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,095
Good plan bakmeel,

I can bring the Fatboy when we are going to barbecue at your place ;) whit your formal colleague's. :hot: (or shout I say barbecue on it:D )
I hope it runs on 4Ohm and below.

Now I am listening to a tube amp, but with this speaker I am cures what strong transistor amp would do to it.

Regards, Helmuth

The Aleph 2 should drive 4 ohms perfectly... I've tested it and it can deliver about 78W RMS into 4 ohms. It is much more efficient in 8 ohms however, and delivers about 168W in one channel.

This is my girlfriend wiring up the front button. You can see the front panel is already mounted.

Attachments

• frontmounted.jpg
    frontmounted.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,904
Holy cow, Bouke, that is an awesome design!! Make me want to finish my Aleph5 I started building 2 many years ago. I also tried to be creative with the case (containing 3 levels). However didn't think it through all that well, because putting it together will probably be a nightmare.

A well, spring time may be the time to do it.

Youre a lucky b*sterd to have a girlfriend who actually helps you with this (mine only complains about the number of remotes laying around and doesnt give a d*mn about the hardware, Well she has other qualities of course).

Enjoy the fruit of your hard labour, I hope it sounds as well as it looks

Mornin' y'all!

Another day, another Aleph.

As I will be testing amp number 1 today, I will assemble the second one.

I knew it was gonna be heavy metal, but what is the weight of that thing?

To answer that question, I put it on the scale for you... Here's the result. I'm not afraid someone will try and steal my audio :D

Attachments

• scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,559
Bakmeel said:
Mornin' y'all!

Another day, another Aleph.

As I will be testing amp number 1 today, I will assemble the second one.

To answer that question, I put it on the scale for you... Here's the result. I'm not afraid someone will try and steal my audio :D

Thanks, now thats a manly amp;) They can try and steal it, but they wont get far:D

Good luck with the next one, and thanks for this weekends most exciting entertainment:devilr:

:)

Bakmeel said:
The heatsinks are from Germany.

They are type SK479 ordered from Fischer Elektronik. The infopage is here.

At the time I ordered them, I was living close to the german border, and it turned out to be cheaper if I drove the 100km to the factory myself than if they would mail order them to me... It was a nice trip as well :)

Now, stop posting and start building!
;-)

bees said:

Now, stop posting and start building!
;-)

All righ all right! Hold your horses ;)

I've started on No. 2. Number 1 is running on a small speaker, connected to the radio. Gives me some music to listen while building AND i'm testing...

The wooden box is my 2.2kVA isolation transformer with variable output. Safety first gentlemen, when fooling around with mains connected equipment, use an isolation transformer!

Attachments

• number2.jpg
    number2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,604
All righ all right! Hold your horses I've started on No. 2. Number 1 is running on a small speaker, connected to the radio. Gives me some music to listen while building AND i'm testing... The wooden box is my 2.2kVA isolation transformer with variable output. Safety first gentlemen, when fooling around with mains connected equipment, use an isolation transformer!

Is a nice design to place in a stand design for a monitor (wil ik wel voor je ontwerpen;)). Would have a nice waf and look like it is design when the monitor is the correct colour with the amp.

And your girl friend wiring the amp True love.:)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.