Aleph 2 (& others) as a project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Building a stereo version of Aleph 2

First question & a lot of other questions to follow ....... for my beginning research into building this power amp.

1. Approximately how much does it cost to built it?

This is what I've read/know so far:

I've read that to get 12 sets of matched transistors, it's suggested (I believe) to buy 100 or 150 transistors .... it needs a lot of heat sinks .... requires decent size transformers and I suppose big capacitors, etc .....

Assuming that I'm going to order all the electrical parts thru the typical parts vendor like Digikey, Mouser, Avel-Lindberg, Par-Metal and none thru the "garage sale", how much approximately would be the cost? I know, I know, the heatsinks will be the major cost. How about a separate cost estimate for the heat sinks via the "proper channel - which means nice heat sink" and one via the 'surplus vendor shops - which means not so good looking heatsinks"?

fcel,
It's been well over a year since I ordered parts and I never really did detailed accounting, but I believe that I spent around $5-600 (not including heat sinks) for enough parts to build two pairs of Aleph 2s. A large part of that was for 100 output devices. Others seem to have had far better luck than I did in getting matched sets out of smaller quantities of MOSFETs. Luck just isn't my strong suit. You could probably get away with ordering something like 30-50 devices and come up with sufficient matches.
Assuming that you're building a pair of 2s or a 60, you're looking for 4 sets of 6 output devices.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.