AKSA amp kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"free" has no value!

I spent a lot of my younger days giving away valuable material and my time for free . Looking back I can tell you that anything given away for 'free' has no value. It is not respected or acknowledged . I was alwasy adviced by good friends and by my parents to 'charge' if I did any work for others. I never ever got any respect or acknowledgement for the quantity or quality of work.

The very same guys would spend a fortune getting shoddy work done from others after I stopped doing things ( especially for free ) and be very happy about it . My bank account would have been much better now if I had charged for everything !;)

I might add that in later years when I demanded more as compensation for my work , I was respected a lot more and the work was acknowledged ! Nothing comes for free ...not even respect !

So Hugh and others would be foolish to give away information (openly on the Net) that they arrived at after lots of hard work and precious use of their time. The number of people who would REALLY be grateful would be minimal. Such people can always get help by direct emailing the persons concerned to get information or suggestions etc.

Their opinions and suggestions are pretty good as it is. Most who do give away designs easily are those who do not depend on it for a living.
You will come across tons of subtle information on this forum that you will not find elsewhere. People who try out projects one is working on and come up with suggestions , do problem solving , make modifications and give results etc. All done for 'free' . Something the project 'starter' would never have enough time ( and resources?) to do on his or her own !

This forum is worth very much more than just individual circuits.
It's amazing how some people can complain when they don't get what they want for free when there is TONS of useful and often valuable free information all around them on the forum.

:confused:

My 11 years old daugther use not to taste some kind of food and dislike

it because the way it looks....those folks have not listened and do not appreciate how it looks.... because have not taste it too.

Well.... daugther has 11 years old only................. i hope those folks that dislike thing they have never listened are less green than my baby.

regards,

Carlos

DIY doesn't necessarily mean copy everything. Aksa and John and many others have given a lot of insight into what they think works ( for them !) and opinions on circuit topologies/components etc.
That's a ton of information for one to use / apply in one's own circuits or apply on other circuits that are so freely available from the Net. I see no shortage of possible solutions for each individual .

I might point out what also happens when any known designer releases a design for others to copy. First, people often don't have all the skills that they should have, and they screw it up in some important way. Then they hold the designer responsible to get them out of their problem.
After an email or phone exchange, they might offer to send the unit to you, to look it over. So you look at it, cry a little over the cold joints, etc, and attempt to fix it. Then, something else goes wrong and you are THEN responsible for any other problems with the circuit. All this, and you didn't even charge for it in the first place.
Kits are better, BUT you have to factor the 'flake factor' in, in order to resolve even the mistakes in your kit's construction by purchasers of your design. This is reality, unfortunately.

I think it's time to end this negative strain of thought.

Lets just bury the issue or non issue as it may well be and get on with having a great time DIYing whatever catches our fancy.

For all the people who have business interests in the subject , thanks for participating and giving us your view point on what works and what doesn't . As far as 'trolling' is concerned , it looks like it means that no businessman should see what others are doing so that they do not get good ideas from that and put it to good use in their business .
This is a silly attitude as it happens that way all around us. Many great inventions or developments happened because of something that the inventor saw in the normal course of life and it 'clicked' in one's mind how that might be used in a way that would be useful. Everyone else also gets to see the same things and if they do not see it and put it to any use it's their own loss(?).
Most circuit schemes have already been figured out long ago. Only a few are still evolving using age old basic circuitry put together , perhaps, differently. More than just the circuitry, it's how it's put together that eventually matters. It makes all the difference.
That's something you can work on as you go along.
All DIY'ers are picking up....trolling (?).... the web site to get new ideas and suggestions so that hey can put together systems that they find better than what they can buy in the market. Nothing wrong in doing that I guess.

:)

C'mon guys, give Hugh and John a break ! I don't think they need to justify anything, let alone their (most welcome) presence in DIY forum. It is a free world here, if you don't like someone's posts just don't read them. I certainly don't agree with everything they (or most everyone in this world) say, but that is a nature of things. How would we have a discussion if we all agreed ?
But I would never question their (or anyboby else's) right to be here. That is just not on.

Bratislav

Why are there so many people here being so defensive of a select few who have commercial interests as though they have priority over anyone else. This is a DIY forum in case people hadn't noticed !!

My eminently reasonable reply:

Why are there a small number of individuals here self-righteously demanding valuable information as though they have a self-evident moral right to take intellectual property? This is a DIY forum, and the commercial individuals come here for a chat and a debate like anyone else, and contribute significantly with a few select tricks of the trade. They are properly expected to inform in their signature block who they are, so their position is known by all comers. They neither expect confrontation by naive individuals who appear to despise them, nor do they expect to be morally challenged for witholding hard won IP, particularly by these people who themselves make little or no contribution of their own....... the situation is ridiculous, outrageous, and inequitable.

I draw particular attention to the fact that all of this information is freely available upon payment of the asking price, and conclude that the real purpose of this harangueing is the simple, spoilt child demand of 'I WANT IT NOW, AND I WANT IT FREE'.

This is crass self-centredness, naivete, and poignant self-righteousness.

Mr Bean, I direct this at you, how many of your service manuals for your little business are actually free? And if you don't actually buy them with your own money, do you nonetheless hand them out free to anyone who asks?

Thanks to all who supported me, John, Lineup, Carlos, Ashok, Juergen, Jam, Raj, Jomatec, Gaetan, Peter, the affirmative list is long. Fortunately the vast majority here see the arguments, and know the world.

Mr Bean, now go back to your room, no dinner tonight!!

Hugh

"......I might point out what also happens when any known designer releases a design for others to copy. First, people often don't have all the skills that they should have, and they screw it up in some important way. Then they hold the designer responsible to get them out of their problem.
.........they might offer to send the unit to you, to look it over. So you ........attempt to fix it.
"THEN", something else goes wrong and you are THEN responsible for any other problems with the circuit. All this, and you didn't even charge for it in the first place. !!!!!!!!..........."

Amazing ! I thought that this only happened to me ! I stopped helping people building audio systems many years ago because exactly this happened most of the time.
Luckily over the web the interaction is just typing text or putting up some diagrams.

And for equipment developing additional problems when I was just requested to 'look at them' is so amazing that I could probably write books about it. First of all the owner is not straight and knows that the equipment has intermittent problems which he will not tell me. Then when I'm just 'looking over it....maybe just switched it on with my hand ' it magically starts to misbehave . THEN I'm responsible for fixing the problem as it happened when I touched it and so I have to fix it for free !! Such equipment is also 'evil'. It will develop MORE problems as soon as I've figured what the existing problem was.

That's why I never offer to fix anything now . It's a tremendous waste of time for me. I guess many of you have been through the same routine over the years.
;)

By mr. bean :Besides the vendors who sell them don't come to a forum like this under false pretenses of helping out hobbyists whilst hoping to drum up some business for themselves

Now that is just plain wrong.

I read almost all of "solid state"
in the last year and never seen Hugh say "DX amp is junk"
or "Quasi amps are fire hazards" "buy mine instead"

If he was of the dubious nature as you say, he would
surely try to find fault in all the free designs offered here
at DIYaudio to steer hobbyists to him.

I suppose all the other business oriented members like
Doug self (he just wants to sell books) or N.Pass are
here to screw us over as well.?? Without these members
I think a lot of knowledge and experience would never
be realized.

So he wont give up his latest secrets.. BOHOOO:bawling:
If you read carefully and don't complain subtle truths
can be derived. I think his amps are too expensive, but
good ...,I'll design my own and be better off for it.
OS

AKSA said:

My eminently reasonable reply:

Why are there a small number of individuals here self-righteously demanding valuable information as though they have a self-evident moral right to take intellectual property? This is a DIY forum, and the commercial individuals come here for a chat and a debate like anyone else, and contribute significantly with a few select tricks of the trade. ....

Hugh

Hello Hugh

I agree, and without the commercial individuals, who are in the bests in electronics, the forum would be much more limited.

You and them bring so much new ideas and deep insigh teachings in all audio design domains, it's made this forum the best in the web.

And there is something who are no secret... you are a very patient man, this thread prove it again ;)

Bye

Gaetan

If that is the end result ,the "frugalamp"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

shall have it. Might not even have to change board to implement
the change.
Another question if you don't mind... When I view (drool over)
the lifeforce I dont see the emittor resistors or zobles
also notice a non-"perfect" star ground (more like mine).
OS

Ps Im not trying to reverse engineer the lifeforce , mine is more
self than AKSA..

777 said:
If its not a DIY project

It is a DIY project but comes supplied with all the parts and choices made. It's just not Design It Yourself.

I've built 2 of these with 4 different variations (upgrades and tweaks) and this kit has taught me a great deal about amplifier design, building, layout and component choice which I've been able to take to other projects.

So for the price not only did I get great amplifiers but gained so much knowledge that is priceless. Grab another amp project and the dollars add up and get quite close to the kit price once you start tweaking etc plus more if you have a disaster due to poor information.

Hugh didn't reopen this thread as it layed dormant for years. If he was marketing, he could have bumped this thread over the years. It's always been another party that's brought this thread back to life. The AKSA is old news and Hugh has moved on to other amps and ideas but the AKSA has always remained my mainstay.

Exactamundo Rabbitz, building a kit is still DIY, in fact, it's DIY enough for the majority of us. I would never have had the courage to get into 'DIY' if it were not for the availability of kits such as these.

Most of us have neither the time nor the inclination to P2P wire an amplifier from a schematic, etch PCB'S or use CAD software to fabricate our own layouts. Someone else does the work for us and we pay for their time and expertise. We do so fully understanding what the costs of making something pay vs the time invested are. Nobody is saying that a particular kit is the summom bonum of audio fidelity. To coin an Audio Consulting phrase, "for every situation there's always an optimum solution". However, that optimum is not necessarily practical in terms of cost, time investment, parts availability, power consumption, aesthetics etc - the list goes on. In such situations, the availability of a kitset that has been proven to satisfy the needs and curiosity of thousands is perfectly adequate.

Are we now suggesting the DIY audio as a forum should only be frequented by folks who walk the total path rather than those who are happy to walk the middle path of DIY?

As far as hawking commercial wares goes, those who are pointing this out repeatedly are only serving to impose the impression that the rest of us 'poor readers' have no idea that this is a commercial enterprise and we're being 'done' unfairly. It's all out in the open and most of us have the ability to understand ourselves what's right and what is not right.

It's interesing enough to see some of the design details discussed. With that being said, I'm just happy to sit back and read from this point in. All this tit 4 tat is detracting from any possible design discussion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.