• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley, some of the bass notes really scrape the bottom. How well they're reproduced has become one of my 'measures' for a DAC / IV. Sonny's DAC / discrete IV just rendered the best reproduction of those passages I've ever heard. Right now, it's paired with my HD800's, and a highly modified ECP Black Diamond.

I just finished listening to some music with my friend Fab's USSA amplifier (the one I've been using all week) using volumio 1.55 and a Pi 2 on the Mirand DAC and the discrete output stage.

I wanted to give it a torture test and see how well the new discrete output stage was coping with complex/busy music passages, how well it was able to render the instruments, scene. I used a piece from Jorane called "Battayum 2" from the album "16mm". Right from the opening, you're struck by a three dimentional scene that seems to surround you from all sides (the recording is made this way), but the scene seems so much more engaging here. at about half mark of the song, you start hearing layers after layers of instruments and voices that keep on adding to the complexity, the discrete output stage does an amazing job at keeping each instruments distinct with the correct volume/size and positionning for each one. It is quite something to hear, almost an orgasm of sound!! :D

Timbres are natural and voices, oh voices are sublime, I didn't know it could get better than what I already had with my current speakers. Like MisterRogers said it, "some of the bass notes really scrape the bottom" when I listened to "Hotel California" from the album "Hell Freezes Over" of The Eagles.

I'm actually rediscovering my music collection now!! The amount of micro-details I was not getting clearly before is now retrieved and believe me, this whole thing stays extremely musical and involving, you don't get stuck listening to just the details but to the whole presentation itself (mind you, some of the songs I do listen to the details on purpose since new information is always fun to discover!!).

I would say get your board just in case Sonny decides to stop making them!!

I'm still going through my pile of music and enjoying every bit of it!

Next on, Miles Davis Kind of Blue Remastered 192/24...

Ciao!
Do

Amen Do. My wife walked by and asked 'how does it sound?' She often asks me that, I'm always building, tweaking something then sitting in my office with my eyes closed, listening. I was trying to explain to her why I was so excited - all I had was 'every now and then a change or component brings about such a marked improvement, it gets me excited all over again to listen to my music'. This IV is like that.

Ok. I'll quite gushing. My best recommendation - order one. Try it yourself. I'm using an SSR03 to power the IV, and a Reflektor-D to power the DAC. Your mileage may vary depending on the quality of your other components - but feeding this DAC/IV with quality power will produce an astounding musical image.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Sonny,

Look like you are receiving entusiastic posts about your DAC.... Congratulation!
I give a look to your website but I don't see the discrete output board.
I hope is not too late to ask you here for a DAC board + one discrete output.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Enrico

Hi Sonny,

Look like you are receiving entusiastic posts about your DAC.... Congratulation!
I give a look to your website but I don't see the discrete output board.
I hope is not too late to ask you here for a DAC board + one discrete output.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Enrico

Hello Enrico.

I have not updated the website yet... Sorry.

But it is not too late.. I have stock for 15 pcs. And if it exhaust we will produce more......

I have summed up here:

OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete:

The shield alone will cost 147,5€ + shipping.
An combo pack with the USB DAC mainboard 306€ + shipping.

It is fully discrete. 71x110mm

Filter components is thin film resistors in 0805 layout 0.1% 25ppm and capacitors is PPS also in 0805 and 2%

And output relay is replaced by ultra low distortion SSR switches.

The odd shape is because of USB and connectors on the mainboard

Early bird: (Just add yourself to the list if you are missing).

Pinnocchio - 1 pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete) (Paid) (Shipped)
Misterrogers - 1 pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete) (Paid) (Shipped)
Vitalica - 1 pcs DSD (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete) (Paid) (Shipped)
Burninggecko - 1 pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete + frontpanel) (Paid)
Enrico - 1 pcs PCM (combo pack with the USB DAC mainboard + discrete + frontpanel)??
Sikkis - 1 pcs PCM (combo pack with the USB DAC mainboard + discrete)
Myint67 - 1 pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete) ??

I will send invoice through paypal. If you accept the invoice you can pay it. If there is changes or you want to cancel just let me know.

BR

Sonny

Hi Sonny, thanks for your reply.

You want me to place the order through your website or you just send me the paypal invoice?

I am also interested in the display front panel. It's already available?

Best Regards,
Enrico

The frontpanel is available, but we struggle a bit with the firmware. Good thing firmware can be upgraded with an windows tool and an serial port like USB to Serial.

So yes we ship them out this week.

I have summed up here:

OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete:

The shield alone will cost 147,5€ + shipping.
An combo pack with the USB DAC mainboard 306€ + shipping.

It is fully discrete. 71x110mm

Filter components is thin film resistors in 0805 layout 0.1% 25ppm and capacitors is PPS also in 0805 and 2%

And output relay is replaced by ultra low distortion SSR switches.

The odd shape is because of USB and connectors on the mainboard

Early bird: (Just add yourself to the list if you are missing).

Burninggecko - 1 pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete + frontpanel) (Paid)
Enrico - 1 pcs PCM (combo pack with the USB DAC mainboard + discrete + frontpanel)??

I will send invoice through paypal. If you accept the invoice you can pay it. If there is changes or you want to cancel just let me know.

BR

Sonny

+1

nullspace - 1pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete) To be invoiced

Thanks Sonny.

Regards,
John

I´m coming along too.

press57 - 1pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Sonny, it's confirmed. Thanks.

I have some DSD files that I never get the chance to listen. If I understand I can use the same mother board and just change the output shield...
If I am correct please add to my order below one output shield for DSD. If I am not just let me know

Enrico - 1 pcs PCM (combo pack with the USB DAC mainboard + discrete + frontpanel)
press57 - 1pcs PCM (OUTPUT Shield DIFF/SE V1.0 Discrete)