Aiyima A07 question for case re-design

Finished enclosure machining. I Added hidden set-screw attachment points/interface to the case, as will be machining out a billet rear panel for future upgrades/power supply migration to inner case (XLR inputs would be possible). The new TPA-3255 boards have a PFFB feature and upgraded inductors, but also have my eye on the new Purifi boards coming out....
Will finish the large dial this weekend... Decided it will mimic my favorite watch :)

0sdsxygi3mp5.jpg

273t41tlpboo.jpg

bpsi6x7lwt55.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
There is some impressive and heavy-duty stuff going on here! Looks to be very well done, too. Absolute overkill, but that entirely misses the point; a DIYer having fun making something unique - because they can and want to do so. I hope the end result is all that you hope for! :)

Reactions: 1 users
The factory housing gets really warm and traps the heat coming off the heat sink fins.
I went ahead and added a fan port in case I upgrade boards or swap in a new Purifi board design. But the fan is definitely not needed with this particular unit now.
It is minimalist because there is no exposed hardware, the main design goal I had in mind besides the integrated dial....

Happy New Year everyone....
1000024746.jpg

1000024744.jpg

1000024745.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Au contraire... as the 3255 chip is a Ferrari incognito.

You are right and I'm being mean. This chip raises the bar for a lot of crazy expensive stuff.
But I would have tried to fit the Topping PA5 Mk II Plus implementation in there. Much more expensive, but probably the best implementation of that chip to date.

I also feel it would have been awesome to find a way to use that hunk of metal to heatsink the chip somehow. Maybe some parachute/umbrella type heatsink design that mates to the body of the case internally.

But, I admire people who can do things with metal and your design is very nice.

Last edited:
No apologies, as no offense taken. I designed it to "future proof" it as I have my eye on the new 3e-Audio boards with PFFB, or possibly the new Purifi boards coming out?

The base alloy plate is 1/4" thick 6061-T6 and easily swappable to one with a heat sink platform as well. This Aiyima module has the radiators mounted above the chip obviously.

Been running the XS-8TL's with this amp for better part of the last week with my phone DAC and FLAC files.
Barely gets warm running them half volume on the dial.

I took the dial back off and reset it to 6'oclock being zero.

WAF is at 100% too as opposed to the amp and CD player in the living room.

5pdt68kyu1w5.jpg

yi38ka0yqp4v.jpg

Here's a pic where I removed the fan so you can see direct airflow path to heatsink radiator.
I also added 3/8" height rubber feet

p5qtvlsjek7l.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
Can't give up all my design secrets, but viscosity can be your friend. It's precision machined and interfaced with 0.002" tolerance and the potentiometer plate and dial plate are lapped using lapping compound. It truly is smooth as butter with a slight resistance due to the lubricant's molecular weight I used.

Besides aesthetics, the large dial allows for very precision volume dial adjustment that the small factory dial couldn't accomplish.

Moved the amp over to another bedroom rig with passive Polk RM-1000 sub and modded B&0 CX100's this past week.
Absolute audio bliss. I'm not sure what load is being put on the amp, but its doesn't overheat at all playing 3/4 volume all day...

1000025208.jpg

Last edited:
There shouldn't really be a break-in time for op-amps. But if we accept that you can hear a difference after the swap, then (because you are human) it will take some time to build your full impression/appreciation of the new characteristics - so in that sense one should expect some listening time to be required before reaching a final subjective opinion.

I'm often skeptical of op-amp swaps; unless the originals are old/nasty/cheap/inappropriate then the improvements in audio-signal handling ability should be so minor as to be nearly indistinguishable. Though if the replaced component interacts with the wider circuit differently then who knows; it could perform better or worse. Given how many people love things like valves over much higher performing semiconductors, better/worse might not even correlate well with how any one individual likes them.

Last edited:
I only go by ear when listening to equipment upgrades and do agree that the NE5532's could possibly not be OEM Texas Instruments from all my reading here about fakes/knock-offs. I only assume that the Mouser-suppled LM4562's are genuine. Is that the sonic improvement difference I'm experiencing?

I'm so surprised by this new addition/improvement that I have Karma'd-off my rebuilt, customised and restored Onkyo A8017 amplifier.

XS Onkyo A8017.jpg