Air Motion Transformers (Heil's) and New Diaphragms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
tomtt:

I emailed Simply Speakers back in Jan.

"To: info@simplyspeakers.com
Subject: ESS Heil Diaphragm # 689-1107

I notice that on your web site that the ESS Heil diaphragm #689-1107 is NLA but now the listing states that this part is "Temporarily Discontinued". I'm using Heil's and am into the DIY thing and most of us are aware of the move ESS made from California to Germany and that when that move happened availability of these parts went down the tubes. Moat of us are also aware that the part "might" be available from Germany - at a greatly increased price compared to when it was available here in the States.

My question is - do you plan on selling this part again in the future (please, please, please)? If you do intend on making parts available do you have any idea when that might be and what the cost would be?

There are many of us at the diyAudio.com forum that would be very interested to find out any information about these parts - as well as the availability of the Heil AMT speakers."

The next day SS sent the following reply:

Hello,

We will let you know if and when they become available.

Regards,

Sean Ryan, Tom Ryan, and the crew at Simply Speakers

I thought it was very nice of Sean & Tom nice to answer my inquiry so quickly - and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone will pick up a replacement.

But the idea of DIY diaphragm and a DIY Tweeter have some merit. When I inspected the build quality of my units I found them rather lacking by todays standards. With some Neo's and DIY diaphragms some interesting things might be able to be accomplished. I know that I have some ideas in mind that I would like to try out - just for the sport of it all. ':D'

Joined 2006
Paid Member
tomtt:

Info about the Heil AMT is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformer

Also provided is a link to view the patent about this device and some other follow on designs (Cerwin Vega, # 6111970 looks interesting).
The Heil patent shows the foil pattern used on the diaphragm ;)

Wikipedia also mentions that pizeo's are sometimes used to excite the diaphragm (hmmmm).

I wonder how Dr. Heil determined the ratio of vertical height of the pleats to the depth of the pleat. Also the overall height to width ratio of the entire diaphragm. Could the design of the diaphragm been different given the stronger magnets we have available today? Then there is the issue of magnetic field design - for which we now have software tools to model.

Also to be considered is heat dissipation - moving air that fast does generate a good amount of heat. But there is software for that too.

Any good magnetic and thermo design people out there?

Lots of things to consider - and to play with!! :bigeyes:

this picture was posted a few posts back.
when this side is in the front does it mean the red wire is plus.
my diaphragms hace blue and purple. How do I know which is plus.

Attachments

• ess_diag.jpg
    ess_diag.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 861
promitheus said:
this picture was posted a few posts back.
when this side is in the front does it mean the red wire is plus.
my diaphragms hace blue and purple. How do I know which is plus.

These are the diaphragms I have and posted measurements for.

As stated elsewhere, use a 1.5v battery and tap the leads on it.
With a magnifying glass you can see the diaphragms action and
deduce which side the air is "squeezed" out of and which side it
is "sucked" in.

cheers

Terry

Polarity doesn't matter much although it makes sense to hook both drivers up the same way in a stereo system. In fact, both sides of the diaphragm push and pull at the same time, just on opposite sides of the same pleat. Remember the diaphragm doesn't move in and out like on piston type speakers.

Polarity with regard to woofers is meaningless.

Making your own diaphragms isn't trivial, as I have discovered. OTOH, I haven't worked that hard on them. I now know the materials the latest ESS diaphagms were made from, but these are reputed to roll off in the highest frequencies in exchange for handling heat better, so I'm not investing in that material just yet. Still working with mylar which has worked well in mine for 30 years.

More soon I hope.

Meanwhile, the rest of you, try making your own and getting back to us.

-Jeff

I have these and they are excellent. I believe they are bipolar, not dipolar in that when the pleats squeeze together the wave is the same phase on both front and rear. A dipole has opposite phase in the front compared to the rear.
It technically does make a difference if they are wired in phase to the woofer and depends on the crossover used.

Braggi said:
Polarity doesn't matter much although it makes sense to hook both drivers up the same way in a stereo system. In fact, both sides of the diaphragm push and pull at the same time, just on opposite sides of the same pleat. Remember the diaphragm doesn't move in and out like on piston type speakers.

Polarity with regard to woofers is meaningless.

Making your own diaphragms isn't trivial, as I have discovered. OTOH, I haven't worked that hard on them. I now know the materials the latest ESS diaphagms were made from, but these are reputed to roll off in the highest frequencies in exchange for handling heat better, so I'm not investing in that material just yet. Still working with mylar which has worked well in mine for 30 years.

More soon I hope.

Meanwhile, the rest of you, try making your own and getting back to us.

-Jeff

Sorry, this is not true.

AMT have polarity just like any other driver.

Driver polarity is specified such that when connected correctly, a
+ electrical impulse will move the driver forward. The AMt is just the
same, on a + impulse the pleats will "squish" air forward at the front
and "suck" air inward at the rear.

The end result is exactly the same.

Also absolute phase in conjunction with other drivers is also
important, as is with any other driver.

cheers

Terry

Phase is relative; just flip a coin and hook the AMT up. Play a sine wave of a frequency near the XO point. Now listen very carefully and switch the wires. You should definitely be able to hear a difference. It should sound "louder" and more coherent when in phase. If not, then just leave it alone and consider all well.;)

BTW, where did you get those replacements? ESS doesn't sell them anymore as far as I know.:confused:

dshortt9 said:
I have these and they are excellent. I believe they are bipolar, not dipolar in that when the pleats squeeze together the wave is the same phase on both front and rear. A dipole has opposite phase in the front compared to the rear.
It technically does make a difference if they are wired in phase to the woofer and depends on the crossover used.

I was just playing round with my Heils and I can confirm they are dipole.

I held the Heils up to my ears like a pair of headphones. I turned one of the heils around and the signal was out of phase with the other Heil. Definitely dipole. Mystery solved.:smash:

ESS USA is back!!

Hello matt

My name is Ricky caudillo

ESS is back in the U.S.A we are making the diaphragms to the original patent WE HAVE 1107S IN STOCK

We will have more models available soon.

Please give me a call 310-962-0114 will give you more details.

We moved every thing from Sacramento to southern California we are in the process of relocating the Germany operation back to los Angeles

Leo David the original owner wants to keep it here

So pass the word out we are back

Thank you

Ricky caudillo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello Ricky,

Welcome back ESS!!! :hug:

I'm looking forward to at least being able to get replacement diaphragms for my AMT's.

I would be very interested in seeing a new AMT designed with todays technology and materials.

I'm wishing the best for you and your efforts!

:cheers:

I hope they start producing a new version of the AMT.

I mean if they can make the most important part of the AMT (the diaphragm), then why not the other bits. What's left after the diaphragm; four ceramic bar magnets, two pieces of angle iron, and some stacked bits of stamped steel? That can be all that hard to reproduce.

It's not like they wouldn't sell.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.