• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido preamp power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bekim, enjoy music in your new Aikido tube pre-amplifier!:eguitar::violin:
If you are able to show that the schematic Aikido preamp,
Cheers!:cheers:

Gost22,

Here is schematics of Aikido preamp which I build.

Attachments

• AIKIDO schematics.JPG
    AIKIDO schematics.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 569
I created Aikido cathode follower with tube12AU7 and gives great sound!:up::note::violin:
Power supply anode mine is B + = 250V.
What is the sound of your Aikido preamp? At the entrance to the audio input signal using (CD-payer, DVD or,....?)
Regards!

Attachments

• AIKIDO schematics-1.JPG
    AIKIDO schematics-1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Aikido preamp sounds great. As you can see in posted schematics, I use 6N1P-EV input tube and 6N6P output tube. I was thinking to use 12AX7 but, I cannot find good ones at the moment, and tubes I am using are great sounding.
6N1P-EV dates year 1973 and 6N6P 1989 - NOS tubes [CCCP = USSR].
I am using cheap decoupling caps, and after few weeks I will put Auricap XO inside. In mean time 10H/100mA will arrive.

There is a little hum and fuzz but this comes from smps I am using for heaters. I manage to reduce the noise to minimum by using caps and circuit as posted in other thread for proper grounding, this helped a lot.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/139466-weird-fuzz-aikido-pre-help-8.html

Sound, hmm...me like :) I had listen various preamps in past and I had few tube preamps, but this one - Aikido, reproduces voices so lifelike and detail.

thanks

Last edited:
If you want a quiet power supply, it's very, very hard (if not impossible) to beat a good regulated supply. I have experimented with a lot of different power supply regulators; floating op-amp designs, traditional series regulators, tube regulators, etc. The Maida Regulator provides the best performance of them all. Mike Maida's original regulator does have some drawbacks, so for the 30th anniversary of the original Maida Regulator, I built the 21st Century Maida Regulator to improve performance and address the drawbacks of the original circuit. You can read about the design process in the 21st Century Maida Regulator Thread as well as on my website.

If you want a quiet supply, I highly recommend using my 21st Century Maida Regulator (but of course, I'm slightly biased... :)).

~Tom

Last edited:
If you want a quiet power supply, it's very, very hard (if not impossible) to beat a good regulated supply.

If you want a quiet supply, I highly recommend using my 21st Century Maida Regulator (but of course, I'm slightly biased... :)).

~Tom

Yes, I agree with you.

Case I am using for Aikido isn't roomy and I had to use smps for heaters and separate transformer for HV. I didn't want to put bigger trafo on top of the case. Noise comes from smps, I check with scope and so far I manage to decrease large amount of noise by connecting capacitor from smps ground to earth. I used 22nF/400V, and I will increase size likely to 100nF and see if the hum will go.
HV psu is posted on this thread, I choose this design as I try on 300B PSE design, no noise at all.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.