• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido all in one with ps tube build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Power-up procedure

The chassis should probably go to the house ground as well. The only thing I normally connect to the circuit grounds are the output jack grounds and ground wires from the volume attenuator (at their respective points on the board).

For a cautious start-up disconnect the trans HV leads from the board. Power it up (all tubes in place) and check that the filaments (pre tubes and rect.) are working OK.

Connect the trans HV connectors back to the board.

Connect the output jacks to the board and short the input connections at the board.

Power up the amp while monitoring the B+ voltage. If the B+ goes too high power down quickly. If everything goes OK check the B+ on the pre tubes to see that it's OK. If you know someone with a Variac you can power up gradually.

Measure the AC on the output jacks, it should be near zero.

See my Aikido build on Wall of Sound. It's a different board but might give you some grounding hints. Open the PDF instructions at the bottom of the page for pictures and text of the particulars

Battle of the Cheap Line Stages, Part 4 | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Cheers, Steve

Does the heat sink get hot? Check the resistors that set the reg voltage. Is the reg inserted in the correct holes (depends on the side of the board the heat sink is mounted to) buy the looks of the board on the tubecad site. Are the filament jumpers (J1 thru J6 correct for the tubes you are using?

Steve

The fact that you have 15.4 volts on the input to the reg suggests that the voltage doubler ps might be working OK. But with that much drop 15.4 - 1.7 and no heat dissipated suggests that the reg is bad or the tube filaments aren't connected properly. You might not get a proper voltage reading on the output of the reg if no current is being drawn.

Where do you live? Send me a PM.

Steve

so are r21 [1.13k] and r20 [124k] in the right place . in the user guide he mentions if the regulator fails to regulate ,try lowering the the heater voltage a tad from 12.6v to 12v, as the 0.6v might be enough to bring the regulator back into regulation. that would mean changing r21 from 1.13k to 1.07k but only if its in the right place.

Sorry ignore that last dumb question. So it ends up the parts bag are labeled correct , but the user guide info is wrong . I switched the 1.13k for 1.07k then put 1.07k in the r20 position and the 124ohm in the r21 spot and all is good. Next is the B+ voltage ,shooting for 220v does that sound about right for the tubes I am using.

It should work fine. If you don't like it raise the voltage to 250V.

I've built the circuit point to point several times.
I'm running 6N3P/6N6P at 340V and it's excellent but 340V is a little high for a 6N23P, though I've never had a failure but it exceeds the datasheet limits.

well i finished everything up today and hooked it up to my amps , theirs a little scratchiness and pop in the left channel on start up and changing the volume. Also when i turn it off the sounds stop for a couple of seconds then come back on and slowly dies off ,wierd. Can anybody let me know if these measurements i took while it was running are good , trans is hammond 270ex 550v ct at 114ma 6.3v at 4A, 5v at 3A tubes are 5u4g rectififier 6cg7 input 6n23p-ev output
  1. pins 4 and 5 readings are
V1=5.94v
V2=6.04v
V3=5.83v
V4=6.16v
H+ H- =12v
B+=296V
R12a,b=230v with a 3.9k
C5,C4=230v

Attachments

• finished aikido 2.jpg
    finished aikido 2.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 191
  • finished aikido.jpg
    finished aikido.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 184
  • aikido outside.jpg
    aikido outside.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 182
The scratchiness could be a bad pot due to the wiper losing contact.

What happens when you turn it off is what I observe with Aikido or SRPP. The coupling cap starts to discharge effectively blocking. You hear a thump, right?

The voltages are close enough, in theory they should all be 6V but variations in the heaters etc. Well within spec.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.