• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aesthetics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I go to the opposite extreme. The amp should be audibly and visually as invisible as possible. No colouration, low distortion, deliberately unimpressive, so all I hear is the music and all I see is a plain black box (Hammond). I can just see the glowing EL34s inside, but it is at the bottom of the rack so definitely not on display. The only important thing is the small LED which when green shows all is well, but red would mean the bias supply has failed.

Multiplex (here with "old acajou" tinted varnish), aluminium and hex SS bolts is what works for me and my limited skills.

Kenneth

Attachments

• power_deck.jpg
    power_deck.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 203
Some beautiful examples.

My design philosophy has been to accentuate the tubes, particularly when turned on. To do that I anodized my chassis black. Accents include the dark blue transformers and polished aluminum knobs and feet.

I tried to keep those accents subtle.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nothing exotic and not a show winner for artistic design, but works for me.

I try to do everything functional, like mirror behind the toobs to reflect heat, perforated chassis for convection and damping of resonances, sound absorbing covering of side panels, etc... When it is ergonomic it looks aesthetically. When something does not work like a spoiler it adds something odd, alien. One guy wrote me, "I like your amps. They look like military Jeep, nothing odd".

Attachments

• Pyramid-VII-front.jpg
    Pyramid-VII-front.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Pyramid-VII-M-1.gif
    Pyramid-VII-M-1.gif
    160.9 KB · Views: 164
I try to do everything functional, like mirror behind the toobs to reflect heat, perforated chassis for convection and damping of resonances, sound absorbing covering of side panels, etc... When it is ergonomic it looks aesthetically. When something does not work like a spoiler it adds something odd, alien. One guy wrote me, "I like your amps. They look like military Jeep, nothing odd".

I was considering adding a brass mirror behind the tubes, too. Looks very nice.

Also, Native American Speaking people call Aluminium Aluminum. And even spellchecker wants Aluminum. ;)

That's a little different. North America actually spells it without the extra I. :)

There are so many of those. The Queens English has 3 letters more than the American version in the following:

"I endeavour to change the colour of my neighbour's house."

Oops, OT.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's a little different. North America actually spells it without the extra I. :)

There are so many of those. The Queens English has 3 letters more than the American version in the following:

"I endeavour to change the colour of my neighbour's house."

Oops, OT.

And to make it even more confusing "theatre" and "colour" are accepted and common usage (on signs, and in the press) in this neck of the woods. :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.