Advice requested for portable two way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Saturnus, would be great if you could help me out here with a little bit more info!

I would like to know a bit more about:
- Reasoning behind the tuning "rules" for outdoor bipole use as you state them
- Idea behind:
Most of it is done really. Sadly going this compact means you have to use a little electronic compensation, so for the "real version" we have to wait for the new amp to get enough power.
But it could be done now using the 4 ohms version of the faitals and 2 TA2021/24 amps with each channel driving their own speaker. That will nearly give enough power.
- How to calculate required extra power for active filtering

At the moment I am looking at the Faital 6FE200 with interest. In a bipole set-up I can get away with a 14L enclosure (not with your tuning rules) which gives a nice peak between 100 and 200Hz. Efficiency is pretty good, 2.5/3dB total lower SPL than P.Audio HP10w at equal power (14w). I am very interested in why you think this would not work, or would not work as well as the boominator.

@cT equals piD: could you indicate what the effects would be if I have the tweeter next to the woofer instead of above it?

Last edited:
@cT equals piD: could you indicate what the effects would be if I have the tweeter next to the woofer instead of above it?

The tweeter positioned above the woofer is a practice that you can see clearly predominate in the design of speaker systems for home listening at least since the 1970's. I know that I've seen a good explanation of the technique somewhere, but I haven't been able to locate the reference.

My new thought concerning the tweeter above the woofer is this. In the electrical design of the crossover, it is required that a certain phase relationship exist between the currents flowing into the tweeter and woofer. If the tweeter is above the woofer, then the path length from the woofer and tweeter to your ear is about the same, irregardless of your position relative to the drivers. If the tweeter is to one side of the woofer, then the distance from the drivers to your ear is different. The difference of distance translates to an incorrect phase relationship and therefore a flat frequency response through the crossover region is defeated.

I'm not sure if the above explanation is correct, I'm just making a stab at it. For sure there has to be another member here who understands the reasoning behind it. -Either basically what I said above, or something different.

Regards,
Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.