Advice: a fence post for a full range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No the posts aren't made out of cedar. They are a composite, made up of plastic and sawdust held together by glue, and molded to shape.

The Mfr's page for the post:
http://www.verandadeck.com/specifications/postsleeves.htm

Here's the FAQ:
http://www.verandadeck.com/faq/index.htm

The surface has a slight nubbly texture from the mold, what they call a "combed" surface.

The FAQ recommends stain only, and stain designed for composite decking, and strongly cautions against using paint.

I know from feeling it the surface feels slippery and slightly powdery: not a good sign for paint adhesion.

Sol

Sol,
Mine are the ceder colored ones, I'v found two types the ones I got at H-D were Sq and a light ceder color. The other ones I got off a job sight and I don't know the supplyer but these are a little darker and have beveled corners. I used these for my computer speakers I even used the post cap to finish the top. If I could figure out how to post a pic I'd show ya. The white plastic I think would be to thin but this composit works great.:skull: :Pirate:

i know this has been long dead, but i figured it was time for a revival.

i got around to building a set of these fence fullrange speakers and i'm impressed. they have a surprising amount of bass for some 3" speakers. the sound is not too bad, not up to par with my Zaph-designed TB speakers, but still pretty good.

one thing to note though. Home Depot has discontinued these posts in favor of the thinner white posts. I was able to scrounge up a pair after going to 2 different stores. bonus was that they were only $4 for the pair (much better than the $25+/ea originally).

all in all, i think this is a decent design and may benefit more if there was some crossover/notch/etc work done, but thats far beyond my knowledge. these will be my new party speakers; they move enough air and are cheap enough to fix if they get banged around, along with being able to tuck out of the way fairly easily.

thanks to all whose brains were picked in order to create these

I'v had mine hooked to my puter for about a year and have played with them a lot.I used the post w/the cap I now have more then one speaker per side so they work as HT speakers when I watch DVD's. These are good looking,fairly cheap and sound great for there size IMO.sorry no pic's I'm so old I still use FILM!:bigeyes:

LP:Pirate: :skull:

i'll try to get some pics soon, stuck with just a camera phone right now though.

oh, and i noticed one heck of a peak somewhere in the upper-mid range. dont know if its cause i didnt add any stuffing above the speaker as mentioned by someone in this thread, but who knows. only really notice it with some of the acoustic stuff i've got or the occasional male singer's voice. otherwise, cant really complain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.