Adhesive/materials for Constrained Layer Damping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
chrismercurio said:
MJL21193,

What are your layers made out of in the photo? It looks like phenolic and veneered ply, but phenolic is so expensive it must something else.

Thank you,

Chris

Hi Chris,
The base surface is 5/8" MDF, oversprayed from painting the baffle. The outside panel is 1/2" maple veneer particle board.
I haven't done any measurements, but this seems like are real resonance killer.
Worth the effort IMO.

I also found Silicone to be effective.
In my case I laminated utility plywood to a thin oak veneer plywood and used a toothed scrapper ( similar to that used for floor mastic ) to get the silicone distributed.
I don't have a tape accelerometer to test efficacy, but a simple tap test sounds much better on this sandwich vs the same thickness of ply or MDF.
The wood glue binding the individual plywood layers failed before the silicone layer

I also used a toothed scraper and agree though I don't have an accelerometer that the "tap tone" sounds much more damped compared to a single sheet of anything. The "tap tone" of undamped ply is amazingly live and why people end up doing costly "translam" projects ala Magico.

It has been close to a month, and it is sort of dry. Certainly less tacky. I will most likely begin machining on Wednesday and see what happens.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.