Adding tube to Audiosector GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking into a way to add a 6N1P (6922) tube into a already finished Audiosector 3875 gainclone. I have very little knowledge of tubes and i dont want to break up the gainclone pcb i already have assembled.

Is there and easy way to add a tube on the input of the GC?

To be honest i dont care much about improving the sound quality, i just want to fiddle around with my first tube project.

I am using 35V rails to my GC and i now that there are projects that uses this with LM3875 and 6922 tubes but i want to use the audiosector kit i already have.

Please help a newbie!

I'm lazy and purchased a tube buffer kit from ebay ($58). Just mounted it in my box and pressed play. Hard to describe what it did to the sound but the words "air" and "warmness" feels relevant. I'm really glad I added it to my gainclone.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

h@kan said:
I'm lazy and purchased a tube buffer kit from ebay ($58). Just mounted it in my box and pressed play. Hard to describe what it did to the sound but the words "air" and "warmness" feels relevant. I'm really glad I added it to my gainclone.

thats a beauty. but whats all that scrumpled up foil for?

and is the transformer you have there just for the tube high voltage or is that for the whole thing?

The aluminium foil is not there anymore it was just a desperate attempt to get rid of some hum. The hum disappeared when I connected the input rca's. There is a torroid transformer 300VA 22x2 for the chipamp (placed under the tube buffer board) and one 14V AC for the tube buffer.

Yes thats right. Connect the signal inputs to the buffer and connect the output from the buffer to the inputs on the lm3875 boards.

If you wish to have just one power button for the system I strongly recommend some kind of delay on the chipamp part. This is because when power up the buffer strange things happens to the outputs before the tube warms up.

I burned one of the lm3875 chips caused (i think) by this.

I solved it with 2 power buttons, one for the chipamp and one for the buffer. I power up the buffer first and after 1 min I power up the chipamp.

Can anyone confirm that my theory about this have any relevance?

pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.