Adcom GFA535..Bad Transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know the actual height, but it ain't much. The only reason I'm looking at a toroid is because:

1. I have no idea where to find a decent EI core transformer that has the appropriate output voltages and will fit in this very shallow case.

2. I can easily buy a toroid from Parts Express that, if what you say is correct about needing +/-35VAC secondaries, is just about perfect. And it's cheap ($48 or so) compared to what two EI's would likely cost, but I'd still look long and hard at using a pair of EI cores if I knew where to get them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi djk,
Ever observant I guess. I can't remember the size, but I thought they were taller than 2U. My point is the same, toroids were mostly used to allow a smaller vertical dimension. Then they became popular as a "magic" part. They have their uses. Thanks for bringing up that point.

EchoWars,
Those sound cheap enough. EI's might be more expensive, so go with those. Also, you know where to get them. Be on the lookout for those buzzing due to DC. (I don't know what the secondary voltages are, no schematic anymore)

-Chris

EchoWars said:
I don't know the actual height, but it ain't much. The only reason I'm looking at a toroid is because:

1. I have no idea where to find a decent EI core transformer that has the appropriate output voltages and will fit in this very shallow case.

2. I can easily buy a toroid from Parts Express that, if what you say is correct about needing +/-35VAC secondaries, is just about perfect. And it's cheap ($48 or so) compared to what two EI's would likely cost, but I'd still look long and hard at using a pair of EI cores if I knew where to get them.

Chris, the above are the exact 2 reasons I am rooting for the Toroids... if I remember, the 535 is around 3.5"-4" high, not many E+I will fit in there plus they are hard to find...

I'd like a schematic for the 535. My buddy had one years ago and I thought it was spectacular sounding at any price. I think it may make a great diy project in an attempt to clone one (if it's simple enough). Ever since I found this site I have not been 'turned on' by a single commercial offering!

ha, I have no interest in buying a used one, even really cheap..I'd rather try and fail...or even think about building one than buy one. dang diyAudio!!

535 schematic...anyone?
545 schematic is welcome too!

(not an intended threadjack..it just didn't seem important enough to litter w/ another thread)

thanks

mpmarino <at> gmail.com

The 555 is THE best selling power amp of all time in the US (In terms of units sold). So thats one more claim to fame more than what you knew ;) ... I am not saying its the best nor do I fancy it myself, but that's one thing that cannot be discounted by snob factor.

Of the Adcom's; the 535ii and the 545ii are considered better sounding than the rest (yes they do not sound like the older 535 and 545 respectively ).... whether it suits my or your fancy or not is another issue. ;)

When you feel like really 'gettin' on the volume...it's hard to beat an Adcom. They really do crank it up pretty good..even the 555 sounds pretty good at high levels. The 555 won't hold a candle to it's lower voltage brethren at more reasonable levels IMHO. They are rock solid, reliable and stable though. This is why I think lower voltage stuff may be a good and reproducable DIY. Maybe with a couple 'audiophile' mods, the snob factor could be overcome.

I'd bet if kari or Brian came up with a board for the 545/555/flexible voltage, it would be very popular for general use and those that want to biamp etc. (hint hint)

I'll probably get :hot: 'd for this! <or> maybe not...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mpmarino,
I think not. It's a fair idea and I know of many worse amps out there. It would be interesting to see where the DIY community would bring this design to. The circuit is mostly very standard As K-amps mentioned, the 545II and 535II might be the best models to aim for.

Bare,
Ever listen to a Bryston 4B? I could pick on many others, but the Adcoms killed these for sound. That and at the time, you could get schematics for these. At the same time a Bryston was a big secret that never broke down (according to the factory). I strongly suggest the the Adcom does have enough good virtues to rank as a project.

-Chris

This is the last time I'm gonna threadjack here, then I'll take it elsewhere. Yes anatech, I meant 535/545..555 was a typo.

Question though: I have both a 555 and a 555II. The 555 is fully discrete wheras the mk2 is opamped. Did the smaller amps follow suit in opamping the front end of the mk2 series?...any idea how it was?

I am for DIYing a discrete design. In the case of the 555 vs the 555II, I do like the 555's simplicity and I think it's a better candidate.(I am not proposing a 555 clone, just trying to get an idea of what was on the insides of the small ones before I order a service manual for a 535 or 535mk2)

mpmarino said:
This is the last time I'm gonna threadjack here, then I'll take it elsewhere. Yes anatech, I meant 535/545..555 was a typo.

Question though: I have both a 555 and a 555II. The 555 is fully discrete wheras the mk2 is opamped. Did the smaller amps follow suit in opamping the front end of the mk2 series?...any idea how it was?

I am for DIYing a discrete design. In the case of the 555 vs the 555II, I do like the 555's simplicity and I think it's a better candidate.(I am not proposing a 555 clone, just trying to get an idea of what was on the insides of the small ones before I order a service manual for a 535 or 535mk2)

In the 5X5 Mk.II's there is no op-amp in the signal path (another debate? ;) but ones used for DC offset control (DC servos).

I have auditioned the 545 and the 545ii, I can say without any hesitation, the Mk.II eats the older one for breakfast. The Older 545 was dull and lifeless. The Mk.II is rich, palpable and natural sounding.

The 555's are both screechy, but funny thing is, I thought they were not too bad sounding when new, but listening to 15-20 year models they sound a little brittle.... as I write this, I am thinking perhaps it is time to replace or bypass the input coupling cap... thats probably the only cap in the signal path or component subject to degradation...

I would support a DIY close for the 535 boards, Perhaps you can post a thread for a group buy or something...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey K-amps,
I'm with you on that. The MKII's had the DC servo. You may want to bypass the supplies or refresh those caps. There were bypass caps on the output boards I thought. Possibly bad since they get warm?
Amps around 50 ~ 100W / CH are a better power range for most people. Not at all like the actual power of new receivers, this is for real. The cost should be more affordable. Most do not need a 200W+ amp.
Just think of all those poor quality PA amps that this type of board could be installed into. Same with not-so-good home amps.

-Chris

This is the last time I'm gonna threadjack here, then I'll take it elsewhere.

just quoting my own lie:)

I'm gonna spend some time trying to find a 535/45 for dirt money...good or bad. I can't fail if I have both an original board and a schematic...can I?:cannotbe:

One concern, first off...is this a Pass designed amp? I am not sure how old it is. Can there be patent issues?

Thanks for the DC servo info. That makes me feel a little more comfortable about the mk2's.

You guys see my point exactly..a fairly modern, stable, high current, cool running, good sounding, small, ...shall I go on...amp for good duty.

-small sub
-active monitors
-multi home theatre
-2 channel
-pro
-______ fill in the blank

I always wondered why no-one got to this one before. I thought it reasonable and you guys have given me the inspiration. I am almost done with a pretty cool mini a with 19v rails and good ol' irf150's based on Brians boards. this will run an Eminence psd2002 in a beta 12cx. I'm thinking a 535 variant will be nice for the woofer portion.

I am shuttting up now till I get me a 5x5 amp and a schematic. I'll empty the boards and scan 'em in!

thanks,
Marc

My original 555 is goin'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5788506239&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.