adcom 585 - redundancy in circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
proceeding under the premise that there is no perfect part....
i was looking at the schematics of an older nelson pass design that i own (adcom 585) and i see that in addition to a slow start circuit, he also has wired a coupling capacitor (4.7uf) and resistor (1k) as the first things the input signal sees.

now i understand that the coupling cap is there to remove any DC that a preamp might send. but given the soft start circuit (and assuming good turn-on procedure: preamp 1st, amp 2nd), should this C-R network even be in the signal path? seems like a great way to lose transparency w/ no benefit to me...

also, given the coupling cap, i also see that the design has 4 dc-rail fuses on the output stage (which, i would assume, would blow prior to substantial DC being output to the speakers).

again, how redundant is all this? (i'm apt to leave the fuses, as i can get nice silver plated fuses that sound fast & nice, but remove the coupling cap, as i think that any cap will impact the sound more than the DC rail fuses will).

i'd like to pull the cap as i assume this will improve transparency, but i'd love some advice on if i should pull the cap, the C&R, or neither. (as i'm not sure the purpose of the resistor in this network). (and i can live w/ the risk of DC output from the preamp, as i'll always turn it on first.)

thoughts?

thanks!
rhyno

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't recall designing a 585. More likely it was a modified
version of an earlier circuit I did, however some resistance
in series with the input is generally a good idea to prevent
oscillation in a system, either from a preamp that doesn't
want to look at the base of a transistor directly, or vice versa,
or to help reduce the possibility of pickup from the output
of the amp back to the input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.