Active vrs passive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the people still into passive use the fact the audio industry still massively go for passive. But the audio industry is the biggest pile of **** rip off companies going. They only use passive because its easier as the only practical way to do active is all in one box solution, amps in speakers etc. Because separates are just that separate all the dealers can make more money as well as the manufacturers selling all these different magic boxes, look at naim for example and they completely useless and flawed idea of external PSUs.

The punters are none the wiser, because its possible to convince someone they are hearing something they are not and because sound is so subjective they can get away with it. The punters are also so stupid most of the time they will trust the people that are selling them the pointless stuff they are being sold and think they are being helped!

The reason this forum doesn't like active is the same reason people still like tubes too, if your brought up with the way something sounds that's what you gonna like. Everyone has learnt what they think things should sound like on passives so actives sound wrong when in fact they are the correct ones.

The entire hifi industry is utter rubbish and a farce and unfortunately this gets filtered down a little and finds its way making impressions in the DIY community.

Don't be scared of change embrace better things! You know you want to!

What a post eh?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The reason this forum doesn't like active is the same reason people still like tubes too......

what...:confused: oh lord, nothing could be more wrong
you dont get around much my friend

but why do some sound so angry, or offended ? I don't see any reason to say those things like that, just because some people have different opinions

besides, most tube guys are probably over at full range forum if you want to talk to them :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some of you who hang on to the notion that a single amp and a passive crossover is the only way to go are in love with your amp!
This is what is commonly known as a "Straw Man Argument." I haven't seen anyone in this thread proclaiming "a single amp and a passive crossover is the only way to go". (Did I miss it?) Most of the arguments I've read here in support of passive crossovers have come from those who use both active and passive and understand how each works, and how to design either.

So far, no one has "proven" either to be superior for Hi-Fi use. The opening post states that active is superior, but offers no proof.

You may be right about current drive, I have not tried that in practice. but current would for sure lock the drivers more firmly in terms of local generated back currents, but weather it alter the dynamic changes in character on the individual driver with amplitude is beyond my experience. the obvious would be that the current is locked and back current is integrated into the driving current in an additive process,

But that does not mean that the driver does not change sound character under different amplitudes. Its this change of character that needs to be dissipated/reflected into the other drivers in the system to maintain the coherence. so my immediate speculative assumption is that current drive may better it but not solve it.

Mind you that my knowledge on voltage drive is a result of more than 10 years working professionally with this..
I suspect to gain similar knowledge about speaker drivers behaviour under current-drive would take some years too.. :) so I'am out on the ice here...

We at Raidho have always used serial (current diversion) X-overs. exactly for that reason. when the two drivers share current in the crossover region they are locked together and can't drift apart.

The dynamic changes particular in the mid/bas generates back emf. some of this generated current bleeds into the tweeter and alters the character to fit that of the mid/base. This is in my book vital to the coherence of the system.

Now I know this is not trivial or basic and might take some thinking to understand. For most people making speakers and X-overs is how to target good linearity...with smooth even SPL.... But SPL is NOT SPL.. it's a vector sum of all contributions some in phase and some out of phase...To understand this is an absolute key. Altering the phase content of a given SPL dynamically by tying the drivers together in that vital frequency band is of great importance...and that you can never do actively.

You'll have to forgive me, because I'm still not getting this.

A capacitor, or an inductor, will always introduce a frequency-dependent phase shift into the signal.
This being the case, how, pray tell, are the drivers prevented from "drifting apart"?

... and I can't understand why you think feeding the back EMF of the woofer into the tweeter could possibly be a good thing - surely distortion from the tweeter would increase?

Chris

In the cross-over region they share the same current. Because of that the blend does not drift with amplitude. like it would if you separate the drivers in parallel or active crossovers.

Good link... read the graphs and understand why the changes in the mid/base is reflected into the tweeter.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris,

In a series XO, the value of every component, including the driver, affect the functioning of every other part. So if a part shifts (as under dynamic conditions) then this shift is reflected in the function of every other component.

Series XOs are less common than parallel, as they get much harder to do as the order increases past 1st order (since the change in one component affects every other component).

dave

Let's get real here for a moment!

The fact that we need any kind of crossover is because it is very difficult to make a single driver speaker system that covers the entire range of audio. Right?

So not matter what method you use, if you are making a speaker system with multiple drivers to cover different parts of the audio range, you are compromising!

There is no such thing as a perfect speaker!

It's all a compromise! :)

If there was such a thing as the de-facto perfect system, we would not be having any of these conversations. There would be only one way to do it.

James. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave.... You can't make series crossovers with domes or any mass loaded tweeters. Ribbons and planars does not have low freq resonance and will work perfectly in serial crossovers

Series XOs are not without their issues. DaveR (considered a master series XO designer in this corner of the world) would disagree with you on the use of domaes at least.

My modest efforts put the XO <400 Hz, have been 1st order, have very careful driver choice, and deal with mid-tweeter resonance peak acoustically. We have achieved outstanding performance at a modest price.

dave

If there was such a thing as the de-facto perfect system, we would not be having any of these conversations. There would be only one way to do it.

This is indeed true. I estimate that even the very best speakers are 10% of the way to "perfect". The art of loudspeaker design is in choosing a set of compromises. And since different people best tolerate different mixes of compromises, one can have equally valid speakers that sound quite different.

dave

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I clearly remember my teacher saying, series xo are mostly always good, mostly never really bad, but never really good either

sorry I said that
guess I can blame him for avoiding all designs using series xo

makes me wonder ..... active series xo.....:scratch2: :D

I don't about that
wouldn't it depend on who you are, and what you expect of a speaker ?

series XO's relies on really good drivers..If you don't have the ingredients you can't cook anything worth eating.

No such thing as the perfect speaker, but you can weight and select your compromises so what it brings out is so natural that it may fool you to believe it's the real deal.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.