Active bi-amp - Which electronic crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't agree, especially with HE systems where the modest SNR of the MD could easily be audible.

I note your "could."

Gainphile and I both have actual experience using on the miniDSP in real life with relatively high-efficiency systems. He's done several, as shown on his blog; my woofers are 96dB/W/m and their concentric tweeters considerably more than that.

Whether the signal is attenuated before or after the miniDSP is simply not a concern in real life, though I'll grant you it "could" be. Especially if gain structure is incompetently set. So yes, there may be theoretical advantages to attenuation after the xover box. (I'm assuming that arguendo, not asserting it as true.) In an actual system designed to reproduce music, however, it's an audible non-issue.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi --- If you terminate the crossovers with just an R, you can do a freq vs time or waterfall plot of it. Usually, MLSSA, for example, is used to measure the speaker and room. but use it to measure just the crossover. you will find long decay times at the filters crross over knee. This resonance will have a longer decay time than in the mid band of the filter and this causes audible problems. All filters do this - active and passive - of course. Anyone else tried this? Comments? Thx, RNM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.