Acoustic Reality Ear 2 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi.

just for your information the price of ear-2 is $3499 (referring to the website)

i am pretty sure i allready heard something real close :)

btw. if you compare the specs for ear-2 and the icepower 500 module i think you will see they are exactly the same :)

regards - k madsen - cadaudio.dk

ps. what speakers did you power with the ear-2 ?

km said:
hi.
your guesses could be as good as mine , right?

i happen to know the designer of the board (icepower 500) in question and if you dont mind me saying it i would think he knows the schematic, board layout and such a bit more than you or p.thomsen (sorry if i am repeating myself).

ps. did you read the patent(s)?

ps. i agree if all parts are the same it can be difficult to see changes on a photo :)

Yes i did only read the one PEDEC and article from Elektronik og Data some years ago...

And i am still waiting to see an implementation into a DSP ... If they are fast enough...

Thats the same problem over and over again... 100 MHz timers would only give you a PEDEC compensation resolution of 10nS

Or a system without PEDEC will also only have a resolution of 200 steps at a carrier frequency of 500KHz..

They need to implement noiseshaping and interpolation to get "higher" resolution... But stilll not good enough in the 10 - 20KHz area.

This needs to be implementet in a ASIC/FPGA to be fast enough..

Sonny

hi.

sonnya if you dont mind me saying the article from elektronik & data is 90% (if not more) bull**** and lies , like most of the published material from b&o icepower seen in magazines.

you know something about these things , didnt it strike you to read ;

that b&o/icepower (it was previously coolpower but i think that was a bit too close to harris coolaudio , the true predecessor) "invented the digital amplifier , a revolution in amplifier technology" ;)

and that this amplifier had more than 90% efficiency where other (read old obsolete) types had 1% efficiency ;)

that "these amplifiers has much better audio quality than the old ones"....

"like a ferrari going 60 miles on a cup of water" , my god.....

about dsp implementation i would think texas is way ahead and that could be another wishfull idea from icepower we will have to wait a long time for (very long perhaps).

harmon i dont think your advertising of the ear-2 amp is going too well , the price was wrong , the modifications of the boards are doubtfull to say the least and you seem to be the only one (apart from p.thomsen) i have ever heard or seen praise the amp/modules in this way.

i dont think i should hear the amp/modules again and not in a $3500 package , i wouldnt pay $500 anyway so why bother :)

if you are happy and think you got a good amplifier at a good price lets leave it here by all means.

regards k madsen - cadaudio.dk

km said:
hi.

sonnya if you dont mind me saying the article from elektronik & data is 90% (if not more) bull**** and lies , like most of the published material from b&o icepower seen in magazines.

you know something about these things , didnt it strike you to read ;

that b&o/icepower (it was previously coolpower but i think that was a bit too close to harris coolaudio , the true predecessor) "invented the digital amplifier , a revolution in amplifier technology" ;)

and that this amplifier had more than 90% efficiency where other (read old obsolete) types had 1% efficiency ;)

that "these amplifiers has much better audio quality than the old ones"....

"like a ferrari going 60 miles on a cup of water" , my god.....

The quotes above i do not normaly read.... Sales talk nothing else!! On that i agree with you...

I can remember coolaudio... At that time i was looking on one off the HIP408X drivers for a motor driver project which never got started..
I think there was something about Alpine involved in the coolaudio project?! :D

Even with all the salestalk i think it is a good idear to compensate for the on/off slopes as the PEDEC does.. Okay you add feedback but then you actively compensates for the slopes as a product on different loads.. instead of some preprogrammed compensations done from some sampletest... Realworld mosfet in a production will not match the mosfets used in the preprogrammed compensation... ?? What do you think??
I also understand that there is only allowed a little bit of compensation in the PEDEC design... -> less oscillation than it normaly would be with another

okay now we start get off topic of this thread! :D

hi.

i agree we get a bit o.t. to say the least , we could continue the discussion on email if you like , im not sure i have that much info to share about icepower or other design topologies , but i dont mind talking in general terms if thats ok.

on another subject dont you (and all you others) think its time for (and a good idea) to have a part of this board devoted to class-d/pwm/digital amplifiers?

i have suggested it to jason and with enough interest (whatever that is) he will consider it for sure.

if you think its a good idea you can email me or jason.

I Think a thread about digital amplifers would be a good idea IF it was about DIY. Not 2 or 3 people fighting about a manufactured product.

Do you get it yet? DIY DIY not BUY

Do you understand yet? If you can help us all build one of these GREAT. If you want us to just go out and buy it, advertise some where else and take your slams there too.

hi.

may i kindly suggest that you read the first posting in this thread.

to me it seems like an add for a $3500 amp (with a lot of praise and such), right?

most of the thread is about whether or not this $3500 amp is different from the $40 icepower modules and i think i have made my point here.

dont you think you are barking up the wrong tree here?

a thread about pwm amplifiers seem like a good idea to me (thats why i have suggested it to jason) , to say it can only contain such and such is beyond my scope and none of my business really (your business perhaps ??)

lots of other threads and postings are about products you can buy and not so much products you can build yourself , have you bothered to look around lately?

some of those are obvious adds, to give you an example search for lc audio and im sure you will see what i mean , again this started the thread so if you have anything to say about this talk to jason about it.

km said:
hi.

i agree we get a bit o.t. to say the least , we could continue the discussion on email if you like , im not sure i have that much info to share about icepower or other design topologies , but i dont mind talking in general terms if thats ok.

on another subject dont you (and all you others) think its time for (and a good idea) to have a part of this board devoted to class-d/pwm/digital amplifiers?

i have suggested it to jason and with enough interest (whatever that is) he will consider it for sure.

I agree on this one.... I would like to continue the discussion ... but my time is somewhat limited (It is the reason why i am not that active in this forum any more...) .. Why??
.. I am in the beginning on starting up my own company... Not with audio development but design and programming of embedded systems like designs with 8051 family, AVR or Infineon C16X micros

So DIY audio will become less important in the future ... It will not go away though!

Sonny

a thread about pwm amplifiers seem like a good idea to me (thats why i have suggested it to jason) , to say it can only contain such and such is beyond my scope and none of my business really (your business perhaps ??)

No, my business is as a Field Engineer for High Definition Digital Television broadcast transmission equipment. I have no connection with any audio business or enterprise of any kind.

I'm just saying, If someone wants to review equipment that should be done on a forum that does that. If some one disagrees with that reveiw that's fine.

I think that a forum called "DIYaudio" should be about building your own equipment from parts or a kit and then modifying it. I build preamps, power amps, headphone amps, speakers and make my own cables. I come here to see what other people are doing along those lines.

icepower cost

Hi i saw that mr k madsen - cadaudio.dk
said .......

i think its common knowledge that the amp modules sell for $40 each in samples , 2 of these + a power supply and a case, well.....
well on his homepage

http://www.cadaudio.dk/forstkits.htm

the icepower500 sells for ...!!?? 188 euro thats a BIG difference from the 40$ he was talking about and why sell them if they arnt any good ??
please correct me if im wrong mr madsen

i still think its cheep for a good amp and im goda buy a couple of these to find out myself

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.