Acoustat Answer Man is here

Greetings from a newbie to the site, but long term Acoustat owner. I had the good fortune of meeting Bob Reiman and Jim Strickland when they brought a pair of the Model X to Atlanta for Dr. Cooledge of TAS to review them. I worked part time at a local hi-fi shop and we were invited over to meet the gentlemen and hear the incredible new stats. JWC had Dayton-Wrights which had already converted me to the coherency and transparency of full range electrostats. The owner of the shop picked up the line along side D-W and I purchased my Xs in '77.

Later upgraded to 2+2s when they first came out and went through a series of panel and transformer upgrades. Finally retired my 2+2s about eight years ago and purchased Sound Lab U-1s. (forgive me, but they really are better than any Acoustat I've heard in a couple of respects) More recently, however, I purchased some Blue Medallion 1+1s for a steal and use them in the garage. I replaced the socks with custom ones made of spandex and the transformers are now in FL in Roy Esposito's capable hands. I'm looking forward to their return!

I'm delighted to see there still is such a community around the speakers and appreciate the contributions by all. I used to follow Andy on Audio Circuit and have benefited from his sage advice.

Hi. Steve from South Africa. I have Spectra 44's as left and rights in an AV setup. Thanks for comments on using an Acoustat as a center. My next question is regarding power amplification. I currently have Gunter Steinhart valve Mono Blocks producing around 350 watts per channel. Would I be better served changing to a high current mosfet amplifier of similar output. As I understand it valve design does not double output when the impedance halves. I look forward to your help.

Hi Folks, I appreciate all the good information here. I am a long time in this hobby now and last year I acquired from a friend a very nice and well cared for pair of model 6 Acoustats. Along with them came two TNT200 amps which is what has been powering them. The speakers sound great and have no issues. They are cosmetically excellent and have all the original documents. They were sent back and updated with the Blue medallion transformers at the factory. As much as I love these speakers they are a secondary system to my other 3 way horn system and they are just too darn big as we will be moving in a few months. I was wondering if anyone here might know what a fair price would be for model 6's as I have not found any on the internet anywhere? Any suggestions as to how to sell these would be appreciated. I thought I'd check here first since there may be some interest on this forum and DIYaudio has been a great resource for me over the years. Cheers!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hello, where are you located? According to Agon, pricing is as follows:

iAverage Private Party Trade-In
$1,530.00 $1,675.35 $1,300.50

Pricing is kinda goofy as there was only one that sold in past eight - ten years on Agon, compared to 13 of the Model 3 sold there in same time period...

Hi, thanks for the pricing from Agon - I appreciate it. I should have thought to check that - I'm a member on there as well. You are right though, that is not a huge sample size :). I'm in the Boulder, CO area. Maybe I should just try an auction on Audiogon as I'm sure a lot of folks will know what they are.

I am located in Ottawa, Canada. I am repairing these Spectra 11s; they are not for sale. I thank the answer man for the invaluable info Andy has provided. I have checked one transformer & get the same readings. I see that there is no physical damage to the second I am sure there will be nothing except replacing all caps & a few resistors.

Hello, where are you located? According to Agon, pricing is as follows:

iAverage Private Party Trade-In
$1,530.00 $1,675.35 $1,300.50

Pricing is kinda goofy as there was only one that sold in past eight - ten years on Agon, compared to 13 of the Model 3 sold there in same time period...

Those prices seem rather low for a pair of Model 6's, but it's so hard to predict for used equipment, especially for such a large and rare item. The buyer would almost certainly have to be local, as shipping would be very difficult and expensive. Even if you had the original boxes...and who has the room to save such huge boxes?

My thought would be that they are worth closer to $2000, but again that depends on finding a buyer at the right place and time. You might also try eBay (stipulating local pick-up only) - lots of Acoustat items seen there. Good luck!

Greetings from a newbie to the site, but long term Acoustat owner. I had the good fortune of meeting Bob Reiman and Jim Strickland when they brought a pair of the Model X to Atlanta for Dr. Cooledge of TAS to review them. I worked part time at a local hi-fi shop and we were invited over to meet the gentlemen and hear the incredible new stats. JWC had Dayton-Wrights which had already converted me to the coherency and transparency of full range electrostats. The owner of the shop picked up the line along side D-W and I purchased my Xs in '77.

Later upgraded to 2+2s when they first came out and went through a series of panel and transformer upgrades. Finally retired my 2+2s about eight years ago and purchased Sound Lab U-1s. (forgive me, but they really are better than any Acoustat I've heard in a couple of respects) More recently, however, I purchased some Blue Medallion 1+1s for a steal and use them in the garage. I replaced the socks with custom ones made of spandex and the transformers are now in FL in Roy Esposito's capable hands. I'm looking forward to their return!

I'm delighted to see there still is such a community around the speakers and appreciate the contributions by all. I used to follow Andy on Audio Circuit and have benefited from his sage advice.

Forgive me BUT i would also put these modified Acoustat Spectra 8800s agains't any Soundlab speaker even at 5 times the cost, 800 pounds of pure joy.:)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Forgive me BUT i would also put these modified Acoustat Spectra 8800s agains't any Soundlab speaker even at 5 times the cost, 800 pounds of pure joy.:)
It looks like they would sound nice. I've heard a pair of 6600s before. There's nothing like having lots of panel area. A friend of JWC had stacked Dayton-Wrights.

Which SLs have you heard?

Last edited:
It looks like they would sound nice. I've heard a pair of 6600s before. There's nothing like having lots of panel area. A friend of JWC had stacked Dayton-Wrights.

Which SLs have you heard?

To answer your question quite a few the Martin Logan CLX with subs did not come even close to the Acoustat Spectra 8800s without subs these DIY 8800s consist of a pair of 6600 and a pair of 1+1 soldered together in an all steel frame total weight is about 800 pounds, all panels are spectra and have been modified, all contact points have been doubled also top and bottom heads have all been soldered together most of the parts in the interfaces have been upgraded bybee's + + +.

PS: Another friend as 10 panels per side a pair of Spectra 6600 & a pair of 4400 all driven by a single pair of Krell KRS-100 monoblocks AWESOME.

Last edited:
To answer your question quite a few the Martin Logan CLX with subs did not come even close to the Acoustat Spectra 8800s
Perhaps you're confusing Martin-Logan with Sound Lab which is a completely different company. Click here for more on Sound Lab. I'm not a particular fan of the CLX design either. It is effectively a three way speaker with somewhat small panel area, not a true full range electrostat. The dispersion is only 30 degrees. What I particularly enjoy about the SL approach is the controlled directivity. Mine use 90 degree panels. The head-in-a-vise imaging issue disappears. You can walk around the listening room in front or behind them and the image changes very little. The professional models like the 922 (nine feet tall - 22 degree dispersion) are intended for use in arrays. Ray Kimber used to demo his four channel recordings at audio shows using a huge array of 10-922s. Click here for pic courtesy of Audio Federation.

Soundlab makes a broad range of products, but differs in the way they are configured. Rather than using different combinations of a common panel, all models use a single diaphragm varying by size in either 22, 45, or 90 degree variants. They also make a double diaphragm subwoofer that is flat like most other stats. The UB1 has fewer lateral facets (no need for wide dispersion) than the full range models. Click here for a view of them (the middle two)

My system uses a single pair of the steel framed U-1s along with a small forest of bass traps behind them. I get measurably flat in-room response to 30 hz.

system.jpg

Perhaps you're confusing Martin-Logan with Sound Lab which is a completely different company. Click here for more on Sound Lab. I'm not a particular fan of the CLX design either. It is effectively a three way speaker with somewhat small panel area, not a true full range electrostat. The dispersion is only 30 degrees. What I particularly enjoy about the SL approach is the controlled directivity. Mine use 90 degree panels. The head-in-a-vise imaging issue disappears. You can walk around the listening room in front or behind them and the image changes very little. The professional models like the 922 (nine feet tall - 22 degree dispersion) are intended for use in arrays. Ray Kimber used to demo his four channel recordings at audio shows using a huge array of 10-922s. Click here for pic courtesy of Audio Federation.

Soundlab makes a broad range of products, but differs in the way they are configured. Rather than using different combinations of a common panel, all models use a single diaphragm varying by size in either 22, 45, or 90 degree variants. They also make a double diaphragm subwoofer that is flat like most other stats. The UB1 has fewer lateral facets (no need for wide dispersion) than the full range models. Click here for a view of them (the middle two)

My system uses a single pair of the steel framed U-1s along with a small forest of bass traps behind them. I get measurably flat in-room response to 30 hz.

system.jpg

No confusion i know Sound Lab very well they are miles ahead of Martin Logan, i am not saying that Sound Lab isn't good what i am saying is that the DIY Acoustat Spectra 8800s would hold it's own agains't ANY model of Sound Lab at even 5 times the price the reason for this is the way they are built please note that this panel weighs 800 pounds this is a very very ridgid frame compared to Sound Lab Ultimate Series U-1PX at only 272 pounds.

PS: To be honest i have not heard the 922 series but still i would not worry that's how good the Spectra 8800s are the U-1PX is good but no match not even close.

Last edited:
No confusion i know Sound Lab very well they are miles ahead of Martin Logan.
Ok. So lets rewind a bit. I ask which Sound Lab models you've heard and you respond by describing a Martin-Logan.

As a point of reference, which SL model(s) have you heard? Yes, weight and rigidity do help with the bass launch and to minimize resonances. As for me, there's a whole lot more to sound quality than is affected by weight alone. At the end of the day, you're still hearing the Acoustat panels driven by their interfaces.

Opinions certainly vary and I'm not trying to convince anyone that my preference is the same as others. As for me, I prefer using large tube amps for driving electrostats. With the SLs you heard, do you recall what the rest of the system was like?

Ok. So lets rewind a bit. I ask which Sound Lab models you've heard and you respond by describing a Martin-Logan.

As a point of reference, which SL model(s) have you heard? Yes, weight and rigidity do help with the bass launch and to minimize resonances. As for me, there's a whole lot more to sound quality than is affected by weight alone. At the end of the day, you're still hearing the Acoustat panels driven by their interfaces.

Opinions certainly vary and I'm not trying to convince anyone that my preference is the same as others. As for me, I prefer using large tube amps for driving electrostats. With the SLs you heard, do you recall what the rest of the system was like?

We seem to be getting off-topic here, with a comparison among other brands of ESL's. Your discussion might get better response by starting a new thread. If anyone has an opinion, it's not likely they're going to find your inquiry under a thread with the subject of Acoustat.

The purpose of this thread is to help existing (and prospective) Acoustat owners keep their beloved speakers running. Although discussions about modifications and special configurations certainly fall within that subject, the main thrust (and my intent in starting this thread) was to help owners maintain the continued operation of 'stock' models.

Hi everyone,

I just bought a pair of Acoustat model 3's with 121 interfaces, and I replaced the binding posts and did the c mod with all metallized polypropylene caps. My main listeners are magnepan mg III's and I was hoping to replace them with the acoustats since the acoustats are so sturdy, but I find the soundstage to be distant instead of in the room and the top end seems rolled off. Is there anyway to make them sound more up front and extend the top end?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a pair of Acoustat model 3's with 121 interfaces, and I replaced the binding posts and did the c mod with all metallized polypropylene caps. My main listeners are magnepan mg III's and I was hoping to replace them with the acoustats since the acoustats are so sturdy, but I find the soundstage to be distant instead of in the room and the top end seems rolled off. Is there anyway to make them sound more up front and extend the top end?

Hi send me your email address and i will send you my friend Jocelyn's i am sure that he will be able to help he as been rebuilding Acoustat's for many years. André mracoustat@videotron.ca

Hi everyone,

Hi Thinker this is a Acoustat model 3 frame that i just sold the owner just changed his 3s to a model 2 so new frames are being made.