Acoustat Answer Man is here

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The 2+2s are 3 wire panels... do you have just three nut connectors on PCB? If so...

Each panel has three wires that all independently go to the interface at three locations fit under a screw nut on PCB. One or more of the wires of that non playing panel may have been disconnected from under the nut. My guess is the bias wire got disconnected on that non working panel.

Be careful disacharging the interfaces... the two wires that are not red are from the step up transformers and are connected from your amp...when your amp is driving the transformer and panel, these two wires will have enough current to really really really hurt you. Never touch those wires while driving the acoustats from your amp. Likewise the red wire is bias wire and has a 10mega ohm resistor that will limit the current but will still knock you on your butt.

After discharging intrerfaces, check to see if that red bias wire (or the other two) came loose from that non working panel. All the three panel wires are collected from all four panels and just all wound up together and fit under the three nuts at PCB. Make sure they all share the same colors under the nuts.

Thank you for the response. I am definitely carefully when discharging the panels. Everything disconnected and unplugged, then touching the red wire to other to discharge.

Where do the 3 wires connect to the panels? I have the socks off and see what appears to be one red wire that is lodged in glue on the affected. At work or would upload photos.

Also all wires are connected properly at the interface. Also appear to be making connection.

Less Expensive Amps for Acoustats

I have been collecting recommendations for a couple years, many I have read reviews on. Do your own research of reviews on specific models.

Old stuff should be checked out thoroughly.

Many of these can be found for $200-500 US.

I got a great deal on a PS Audio HCA-2 that needed repair -- AFTER I had a description of the problem from the seller and communicated with the manufacturer to find out that I could get schematics, but not circuit boards. It turned out the main power supply caps were failing, which was not a difficult repair. An excellent amp.

Acoustat TransNova (two models) considered great w Acoustat speakers.

Kenwood

M1 105 W 8 ohms 1983 - 1985

M2 220 W 8 ohms 1983 - 1985

As I mentioned before, they have to be happy with under 4 ohms, possibly under 3, to drive Acoustats.

Brandon
Thank you for your answer Brandon.

Before I read your post coincidentally I looked Kenwood M1 or M2 on the ebay (Kleinanzeigen). I found one Basic M1 what would be good for me but the speakers relay was changed by the seller. I don't know it is advantage or disadvantage for me. You can check the advertisement on the link:
Click Here
It would be ok with the new relay or would be I looking for an other M1 or M2 with original parts?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The three wires connect to the panels - red wire to the diaphragm (that glued connection). The other two wires each go the the stator wires that run up and down each front and back side of the panels.

If that red wire was disconnected from Diaphragm (under the glue) you may not be able to fix and need to be replaced - good thing is the panels are relatively cheap (@$100 - $150 each)

Are you sure the wires for that dead panel are properly conncted to interface?

Thank you for your answer Brandon.

Before I read your post coincidentally I looked Kenwood M1 or M2 on the ebay (Kleinanzeigen). I found one Basic M1 what would be good for me but the speakers relay was changed by the seller. I don't know it is advantage or disadvantage for me. You can check the advertisement on the link:
Click Here
It would be ok with the new relay or would be I looking for an other M1 or M2 with original parts?
It was probably replaced because it was bad or was known to likely go bad. New parts that meet or exceed the original specifications and performance, and were made well, are better because they will last longer.
Once in a while old parts sound better, but deteriorating old parts usually sound worse. We have a saying, "Ya pays your money, ya takes ya chances."

Brandon

The three wires connect to the panels - red wire to the diaphragm (that glued connection). The other two wires each go the the stator wires that run up and down each front and back side of the panels.

If that red wire was disconnected from Diaphragm (under the glue) you may not be able to fix and need to be replaced - good thing is the panels are relatively cheap (@$100 - $150 each)

Are you sure the wires for that dead panel are properly conncted to interface?

John- thank you so much for taking the time to respond. You were spot-on with the solution. I apologize if this has been covered, I couldn't seem to find the answer searching "dead panel" in thread.

When I got home from work yesterday I gave it another look. On further inspection, one of the 4 white wires had lost connection to the spade. I wound up taking off the spade, stripping the wires bare, and reconnecting. I believe it hasn't been getting a good connection since I owned the speaker, I swore the output levels on the two speakers were uneven. This confirms it. So glad it was an easy fix, as they are hands-down my favorite speakers I have owned. Hard to believe they are 40 years old and sound as good as they do. After having them for a week, I sold my year old Magnepans. Cheers!

I have the 3 wire panels as well... I was referring to the bunch of 4 wires. 3 groups of 4. One of the 4 had begun to break away from the spade causing the distortion and lack of sound. So glad it was an easy fix. I definitely feel blessed to have these speakers. I would hate to see what I would have to spend on a new set of speakers with the same qualities these have.

Less Expensive Amps for Acoustats

I have been collecting recommendations for a couple years, many I have read reviews on. Do your own research of reviews on specific models.

Old stuff should be checked out thoroughly.

Many of these can be found for $200-500 US.

Brandon

I just bought an Onkyo M-505 Ultimate Stereophonic Power Amplifier for exactly $200 shipped!

I will be powering my Spectra 11's with it in my studio apartment.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not used my 3s in a while (storage issues at home) and after finally setting them up and listening again they definitely have issues with speaker volume difference. Unfortunately the screws on top of the transformer box are stuck hard. If I have to drill them out is there anything right under the screws that I need to worry about?

Acoustat A-man,

I am living in London UK, and have an extensive Acoustat collection. I am originally from the states and brought over the kit, now running it with 3000watt transformers and Furman power strips. I have (2) sets of 2+2's (why not), one set in the bedroom and one in lounge, a set of 3's in storage and running both active sets with the standard TNT-200 / TNP preamp setup. I have had the 3's since university, graduated up to the 2's and have not been happy with any amp/preamp setup other than the purity of the acoustat offer.

I noticed some earlier posts about combining a subwoofer with the 2+2's, can you offer some suggestions on a make/model? I have been looking into KEF, but do not know if I have to re-wire things or is it a straight foward plug and play? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

best,

Christopher Harvey