Accuton vs Audio Technology

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
- there is not questions that Accuton uses superior material, the cone is better and the magnet and motor are orders of magnitude better.

Just want to offer some counterpoint (with the caveat that I haven't heard drivers from either manufacturer, which is irrelevant for objective analysis) - I generally use Le (controlling for Re) as a proxy for motor quality. With that in mind, with similar applications (Sd and Fs determining woofer/midwoofer/midrange) - Accuton are certainly not "orders of magnitude better" - in fact they're the same or worse on the few drivers I looked at.

If Le (controlling for other variables) is a valid proxy, then Accuton's motors are no better, and in some cases worse. They're both quite nice, but very few things are "orders of magnitude" better in the real world - usually it's year-over-year incremental improvements.

My $0.02,
Tal

Subjectivity vs. objectivity

Regarding the earlier near-mudslinging that resulted from the perennial subjectivity vs. objectivity discussion/"discussion" - I find Nico Muhly's words relevant - I urge both listening to his "Speaks Volumes" record (one of my favorite) and the following blog post where he reviews reviews - the ol' meta-review:

Nico Muhly My local

At its core it comes down to this: subjective observations are always useful to the person making them, and perhaps to others, while objective observations are more likely to be useful to more people - thus making them more relevant (and maybe useful) for this hobby. There's a reason one doesn't get berated for picking the wrong sofa color when one purchases a sofa - that same reason is why someone's affinity for soft-dome tweeters (THEY'RE SO WARM!) at the expense of those ringing things with the hard metal domes (THEY'RE SO ABRASIVE!) is simply less useful to the discussion than identifying resonances either in or beyond the passband.

Throwing gasoline on the flames,
Tal

Last edited:
At its core it comes down to this: subjective observations are always useful to the person making them, and perhaps to others, while objective observations are more likely to be useful to more people - thus making them more relevant (and maybe useful) for this hobby.
Tal

I am less and less sure that getting data about drivers is more useful than getting several subjective assessments of related drivers and their performance in similar circumstances. The problem is that there are very few people that can provide such assessments. However, when available those are most useful to me.

Just a quick example. AT drivers do not seem to measure particularly well. However, lot of people who tried them in similar circumstances (for example: Troels Gravesen or Goran (of audioexite)) seem to like them more than other better measuring drivers such as scanspeak or SBacoustics satori. I repeated, on a smaller scale, some of those same comparisons, and I do like them better too. For very similar reasons (more dynamic and more detailed).

Go figure. When it came time for tweeter selection I didn't bother checking. Just went with the subjective recommendations of the same bunch of people:)

I am less and less sure that getting data about drivers is more useful than getting several subjective assessments of related drivers and their performance in similar circumstances. The problem is that there are very few people that can provide such assessments. However, when available those are most useful to me.

Just a quick example. AT drivers do not seem to measure particularly well. However, lot of people who tried them in similar circumstances (for example: Troels Gravesen or Goran (of audioexite)) seem to like them more than other better measuring drivers such as scanspeak or SBacoustics satori. I repeated, on a smaller scale, some of those same comparisons, and I do like them better too. For very similar reasons (more dynamic and more detailed).

Go figure. When it came time for tweeter selection I didn't bother checking. Just went with the subjective recommendations of the same bunch of people:)

I agree with this

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.