Accurate Inverse RIAA

Of course, the reverse also works, but on average, paralleling (or placing in series) tightens the tolerance of the network.

With FET's I've been serializing them in large batches and saving a best fit to Idss and Vp. Then even in Excel your can match up groups according to exactly how you are going to use them. I figure it would be trivial to loop through a simple list of 1% resistors and set up quads at .1% or even better.

BTW with a CD it's also trivial to inverse RIAA digitally a whole cut and play it through a phono beware though of staying minimum phase that goes for the Laplace function too (some folks have had issues).

Last edited:
Calvin, I did that test years ago to test my turntable and Cartridge. The difference being I adjusted the RIAA curve on the preamp so that the timbre difference between turntable and cd was perfect. the test album was Brothers in arms Dire Straights on LP and CD.
the MM cart easily sounds as good as MC with a 25 Db improvement in s/n.
net result is gentle boost below 50hz and above 6khz

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Mmmm. I've just tried the updated zip file with jlcpcb, oshpark and I'm still getting a zero size board. jlcpcb say width and height are null and that it cannot determine the board outline. Oshpark also gripes about size/drill file.

I'll have a prod around, like I said I'm really not familiar enough with this sort of thing to be sure I fully understand what I'm being told by the fabricators...

JLCPCB Analysis Results #1
layers : 2
minimum trace width : >=10 mil
minimum trace spacing : >=10 mil
minimum drill size : 0.05 mm
width : null
height : null

JLCPCB Analysis Results #2
Can not identify the board outline
Inverse RIAA.DRL(null): Non-gerber274X/excellon formats
Inverse RIAA.GDD(null): Non-critical Gerber file
Inverse RIAA.GDG(null): Non-critical Gerber file
Inverse RIAA.GPM(null): Non-critical Gerber file
Inverse RIAA.MAT(null): Non-gerber274X/excellon formats
Inverse RIAA.TOL(null): Non-gerber274X/excellon formats

OSH Park Analysis results
Warning: File is not valid drill file: Inverse RIAA.DRL
Failure: Removed drill file, did not contain tool size information: Inverse RIAA.TXT See help page.
We couldn't find the board outline. See help page.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
typical Gerber file names:

filename--------------corresponding layer
boardname.GKO------Board Outline
boardname.XLN-------Drills
boardname.GTO------Top Silkscreen
boardname.GTS------Top Soldermask
boardname.GTL------Top Copper Layer
boardname.GBL------Bottom Copper Layer
boardname.GBS------Bottom Soldermask
boardname.GBO------Bottom Silkscreen
boardname.G2L-------Internal layer 1 (next to Top)
boardname.G3L-------Internal layer 2 (next to Bottom)

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Seems the problem is because I put two identical boards in next to each other (for stereo) and this is confusing the Gerber readers. I've made it a single board by deleting one of the boards from the file and its now uploading correctly into my board supplier's reader and they've accepted it for manufacture. (I must have only had 1 board in the Gerber file when I made my original unit 5 yrs ago)

I've ordered 10 so if you wait you can get one board for $7.50 or two boards for $11 plus postage of $2.50. They will be here in 7-10 days.

If you can't wait, the file that works with me is below.

Hopefully the issue is solved now :)

Attachments

• IRN Oct 2021.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited: