Acceptable group delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gedlee said:

If you are saying that edge diffraction can occur with GD then you would need to show this mathematically not "the way I see it". Its either true and can be proven or its not.

No, you was claiming this not me. I don't see GD in a reflection which is a pure time delay. GD is where a group of frequencies (not all frequencies) are delayed by some amount.

Also I do not need to proove anything mathematically. This is a discussion board and I am free to express my view and my understanding of a subject.

Also your last line doesn't fit well with this that you wrote further up:
I think that edge diffraction is both GD and comb filtering.

How can you "think" either it is or it is not... right? (and you better proove it..)

/Peter

I have done an analysis of the simplest case- two sources, one delayed and attenuated. This system has nonzero and nonconstant group delay. Since I can't attach a word document, I've attached a picture of the word document that I have the details in. I will post some graphs shortly.

Attachments

• analysis.jpg
    analysis.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 231
Here goes... not sure if the resolution will be very good though.

A = .5, tau = 1 ms

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A = .25, tau = 1 ms

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A = .5, tau = 2 ms

Also, if anyone wants the matlab function that I'm using, go ahead and email me at rybaudio@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you.

In case you can't read what is going on, the plots are as follows.

Upper left:

system transfer function magnitude in dB vs frequency
vertical scale: linear, -30 dB to 10 dB
horizontal scale: log, 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Upper right:

system phase angle in degrees vs frequency
vertical scale: linear, -90 to 90 degrees

Lower left:

system group delay in ms vs. frequency
vertical scale: linear, -2 to 2 ms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.