ACA V1.5 Illustrated Build Guide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ive eliminated mine with the added 33k uf cap.
I’m sure you have the turn off thump also. The cap also eliminated this problem.
I will experiment with lower value cap.

Some switching supplies will not want to charge a large cap. There is
a way where you can charge the cap more slowly but take the charge
out quickly. Try something like this circuit in parallel with the supply.

Use a bigger diode if think you need it. A Schottky will give you less drop
if you want it as a peak current reserve.

Attachments

• CAP.jpg
    CAP.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 535
Some switching supplies will not want to charge a large cap. There is
a way where you can charge the cap more slowly but take the charge
out quickly. Try something like this circuit in parallel with the supply.

Use a bigger diode if think you need it. A Schottky will give you less drop
if you want it as a peak current reserve.

Thank you!
I will do that.
Checking my parts, I only have a 15-ohm 5-watt resistor and 1N5818.
Can anyone confirm if this will work?

Done! Took my time - 9 hours to complete. Only one burnt finger. Bias set 10.0V +/- 0.01V No untoward smells or sounds, and no smoke! :) Couple issues with the case and screws no lining up exactly, but still looks great.

Is it possible to add a 1/4 headphone jack with a switch to turn off the speakers when headphones are in use?

It's written on the piece of paper that came with the kit. 39K for higher gain and 68k for lower gain or when using a preamp.

Using the 39k will give 10 dB of gain and 68k will give 14 dB of gain (as in the original ACA). There is more NFB using the 39k. It gives a higher damping factor. So lower gain using 39k and higher gain using 68k.

Then you can use a preamp with lower gain if you use 68k than with 39k.

I didn’t put whole Mepper’s post just his part

Quote from clowkoy is oposite than Meppers post

Originally Posted by clowkoy View Post
It's written on the piece of paper that came with the kit. 39K for higher gain and 68k for lower gain or when using a preamp.

Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
Using the 39k will give 10 dB of gain and 68k will give 14 dB of gain (as in the original ACA). There is more NFB using the 39k. It gives a higher damping factor. So lower gain using 39k and higher gain using 68k.

I didn’t put whole Mepper’s post just his part

Quote from clowkoy is oposite than Meppers post

Originally Posted by clowkoy View Post

Originally Posted by MEPER View Post

I think it is correct what I wrote. If it is written "oppsite" other place it may be wrong. The gain of the amp is lowered using the 39k resistor in the "new" ACA (more NFB introduced to get lower gain).

Done! Took my time - 9 hours to complete. Only one burnt finger. Bias set 10.0V +/- 0.01V No untoward smells or sounds, and no smoke! :) Couple issues with the case and screws no lining up exactly, but still looks great.

The top and bottom plates are not symmetrically drilled. They have a front/back orientation where the lips will be flush with the front and sit on top of the back plate. If one comes up short to the back plate, rotate the panel 180°.

Pictures of My Left Channel - No Sound

Finally had the chance to take some pictures - problem still exists, no sound left channel and a bit of distortion when testing from the right.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 406
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.