ACA MinMax - ACA mini retrofit for ACA chassis

For clarity about the optional gate resistors, R12 and R13, you must either install a resistor, or bridge the pads inside that footprint with solder. Otherwise the MOSFET gates are not connected to the JFETs . Special thanks to @wg45 :up:

1709777588972.png
1709777613614.png

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if this kit will replace the OG ACA in the store…
Different animals.

OG ACA a single ended beast, high bias current, lots of heat, benefits from a very clean PSU, struggles with 4 ohm speakers.

ACA Mini, a push - pull , low bias current, not so much heat, rare Harris MOSFETs, similar sound to F5, drives 4 ohm speakers sort of ok.

ACA MinMax - same topology as ACA Mini with increased bias and PSU voltage, more heat, hence needing bigger sinks, similar sound to F5, will drive 4 ohm speakers quite well.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone think there will be any value gained using a 3U chassis over the standard ACA chassis? I have both and am debating if the larger chassis is worth trying, or stick with the predrilled ACA. I may try using onboard 36V SMPS from Meanwell versus external. Anyone think that the SMPS PSU in the chassis is just going to be too noisy and I should buy an external brick? Maybe I should build a separate PSU box. 🤔

I'm getting ready to populate boards now so starting to ponder next steps and layout. I appreciate any input. I'm still pretty new at this. Thank you!

Last edited:
@TungstenAudio
That's precisely where I have been the past few weeks poking around which sparked the thought about 3U. I went with the 4U for F5m, so now I have this 3U Mini chassis unused. I have two MEAN WELL LRS-50-36 and was pondering using one for each channel. I'll ponder the ideas a little more before choosing a path. Thank you!

This is very interesting.
What about a small integrated (?)
I have these small ACP+ mono pcbs, and I got this small amp box.
Could somebody please measure the width of the pcb (hoping it is 60 mm or less...)
Also, what kind of power output into 4 or 8 ohm (?)
PXL_20240326_150346935.jpg

PXL_20240326_151450203.jpg
PXL_20240326_151459966.jpg

/PerJ (From Norway)

Reactions: 1 user
Could somebody please measure the width of the pcb (hoping it is 60 mm or less...)
Also, what kind of power output into 4 or 8 ohm (?)
The MinMax PCBs are 60mm x 127mm. A bit more length is needed because one of the FETs extends beyond the board area, about 135mm total.

Nobody has done a direct measurement of output power yet, and it will depend on the bias current. Nelson Pass estimated "a bit more than 10 watt/ch into 8 ohms" when using a 36V PSU and 1A bias.

Me too. The chassis is actually a delivery from Aliexpress that went very wrong. Somewhere out there is someone with a black 3U power amp chassis + a couple of other black boxes...
Got a refound and bought the correct chassis from modubox instead.
I got to keep this chassis and up until now I didnt know what to do with it...

This seems like a good time to expand on what's happening behind the scenes.

I've put together a "pioneer" batch of kits and sent them in to the diyAudio store warehouse. We expect this small initial batch to sell out quickly, but it is an important step because it limits the liability of any mistakes and subsequent corrections that may need to be made. I know this can be frustrating for eager builders, but it is necessary for those of us who rely on community feedback to build products. To set expectations, there will very likely be a period of time after the initial batch where the kits are out of stock. In that time I will be making a much larger production batch and waiting to hear from the pioneers about any problems that should be addressed before sending them to the warehouse. The kits will be much more available after the initial setup.

The store intends to sell these as complete kits. They provide the chassis and 36V PSU, while I supply the PCBs, components, wiring, connectors, switches, and a few other bits.

@perj Since you have a non-standard chassis the connectors and switches are probably not going to work, so I'm guessing you just want the PCBs and components? DM me and we'll work something out

Reactions: 3 users
This seems like a good time to expand on what's happening behind the scenes.

I've put together a "pioneer" batch of kits and sent them in to the diyAudio store warehouse. We expect this small initial batch to sell out quickly, but it is an important step because it limits the liability of any mistakes and subsequent corrections that may need to be made. I know this can be frustrating for eager builders, but it is necessary for those of us who rely on community feedback to build products. To set expectations, there will very likely be a period of time after the initial batch where the kits are out of stock. In that time I will be making a much larger production batch and waiting to hear from the pioneers about any problems that should be addressed before sending them to the warehouse. The kits will be much more available after the initial setup.

The store intends to sell these as complete kits. They provide the chassis and 36V PSU, while I supply the PCBs, components, wiring, connectors, switches, and a few other bits.

@perj Since you have a non-standard chassis the connectors and switches are probably not going to work, so I'm guessing you just want the PCBs and components? DM me and we'll work something out
Could you DM me to start the conversation (?) Something about moderation rules for members with few messages etc. Sorry about that.
And yes, I need just the pcbs and the components...
/PerJ

Ok, well that settles it. Knowing what Mr. Brock shared above, I'll do my best to try to be true to what the pioneer kit will use and go with ACA chassis and the external 36V Mean Well PSU from store. That's the info I needed to help me move past all this wishy washy pondering 😉 I was doing.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user