AC Power Regeneration anybody?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Cyclotronguy:

Variac said:
I guess the way to go is a battery charger with 2 car batteries-hey that would work!!! right? Would this give me the plus and minus if i connect the battery negative terminals to create the common? Is this the solution I'm looking for?

Mark

When connecting to batteries to get quasi +/- supply, you connect one batteries +ve terminal to the +ve rail, the other batteries -ve terminal to the -ve rail and connect the remaining 2 terminals together (this is the common). This creates a quasi floating +/- supply as the ground (common) is not at true ground potential.

If I buy a battery with a credit card have I charged the battery?

Most battery chargers, at least the cheap ones, are nothing more than a transformer and a couple of diodes. It is probably a good guess that they are not "audiophile" diodes. :) Sometimes the chargers have an ammeter. Other than the ammeter the charger is a plain old unfiltered power supply. Buying a charger, however, might be cheaper than some other transformer sources since the chargers are mass produced. The Variac/Audiofreak idea of using two batteries in series will work if you use two batteries that are for half of the charger's voltage. And then if you connect the common to ground, that point will be ground. (I am assuming that the secondary of the charger is floating which it probably is.) I suggest a resistor (or something) be connected across each battery to be sure that you maintain the same voltage across each battery. (Actually something called a center tap on the transformer is the *right* way to go, but you probably wont find that on any battery charger.) Or you could have two chargers, one for each battery.

But now we are way off topic. We are not "regenerating" (regurgitating?) AC. We have a regular power supply and are only generating a long thread. But it is kinda fun.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Strangely, we have been spot on the topic until the battery issue!
But the battery idea is one of the more practical ones.
I read a reference to running stuff on bateries in Stereophile once.

The writer mentioned that the chemical reaction that produces electricity should not be assumed to have no noise, and recommende a capacitor across the terminals. I wonder what the value of that cap wouldwant to be?

OF COURSE, the charger would be disconnected from the batteries when the amp is on, One switch could turn on the amp and disconnect the charger!

Back to the topic!!------

The motor generator/alternator would be mounted in a box out side your house or on the roof of your flat, the way air conditioning condensers are. It will contain the motor generator and radiator, fan, pump for cooling, Hoses and wires will run into the house, with remote turn-on. Hey, the Air Conditioning condenser might be a good basis for this! GOOD LORD I'm starting to believe in this! Call the medics!! Grey Rollins-I can't believe you haven't made this yet....

Mark Levinson No. 33 simplified power supply schematic

back to HPotters initial question:

take a look at the picture:
Mark Levinson No. 33 simplified power supply schematic

I have it from an old German Hifi magazine. It is pretty selfexplaining, therefore just a short note: The 2 green triangles following the 72dB filter are a bridged power amp feeding a transformer.
"zu den Spannungsverstärkern" means: to the gain stage
"zu den Stromverstärkern" means: to the power stage

to Variac: "I have a 1000VA TOpaz and have asked about it in the past. Any more info?"
I took a look at the thread You meant. Your Topaz line 1 power conditioner seems to be something different of what I was talking
about. I believe the Topaz power conditioner is some kind of ferroresonat transformer for regulating line voltage whereas the suppression transformer rather is a special kind of a conventional isolating transformer.

to fmak: "I have two Topazs which are really noisy and have to be sited outside."
Indeed ferroresonant transformers are quite noisy but the suppression transformers I was talking about behave much better
in this respect.

Here a link for those interested in audio battery supplies and chargers (unfortunaltely for most of You, in German only)

Christoph

Nobody answered alfsch's question about the "small added signal" (back on page 3, I just read through this whole thread, was too lazy before). I don't know if it's possible, would something like that be too insignificant to change anything? Because when dealing with high-power amps, regenerating the AC for it would require a hefty "ac regeneration unit"...

Re: Mark Levinson No. 33 simplified power supply schematic

to fmak: "I have two Topazs which are really noisy and have to be sited outside."
Indeed ferroresonant transformers are quite noisy but the suppression transformers I was talking about behave much better
in this respect.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am referring to the Topaz isolation transformers. For some reason, most US transformers are noisy here and about 50% of European ones. Japanese transformers are generally quiet. This is in London with around 6% distortionin the mains.

Simplest way to drive alternator that you ALL overlooked.

1. Stop.
2. Attach alternator to top of hat
3. Attach propellor to alternator.
4. Stick arms out to side and tongue forward.
5. Imitiate sound of 27 litre V12. :) :) :)
6. Resume running around house.

Works for me anyway... ;-)

GP.

Attachments

• running around the house.zip
    90.5 KB · Views: 188
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.