Absorbing/Muffling Subwoofer Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone; I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
I'll be remodeling sometime here in the next month or so; and I need to control the sound going through the floor.
I have a set of standard logitech speakers, Model: Z313. Nothing too awful fancy; but none the less a good set for what I do, casual listening and gaming of sorts.
However, having a nice subwoofer gets on people's nerves. My roommates have gotten mad at me several times, asking me to turn the volume down when; sitting in front of the speakers, it is your usual listening level.
Right now, I have two nice thick pieces of Styrofoam under the subwoofer. It does a good job at dampening it; but it still goes through the floor significantly.
When my room is redone; I won't want little white Styrofoam pieces all over my new black carpet.
So, what can I build or buy that can absorb or muffle a good mount of the sound going downward, through the floor? I considered using some leftover carpet from a past project and tacking it onto a box; but I'm not sure how well that will work. I don't want to spend more than 50 American Dollars, as I'm on a tight budget.
Thank you to all that reply.

It's not your sub's cabinet causing distress to your neighbours, it's the 'sub'sonic sound waves / frequencies - long waves travel through things, stud / plasterboard walls, ceilings / floors, even brick walls / stressed concrete slab floors.
I have the same problem when I'm in my flat in the evenings listening to music / sim-racing, people in the flat above hear every bass note when I don't.
My answer was to buy a pair of headphones ;)

Last edited:
I do have headphones; which are nice, but I'd like to be able to put my speakers to good use as well. It doesn't have to be super silent.
What I need is basically a firearm's silencer built for a subwoofer; if you know what I mean. Take the large portion of noise away.

Short of isolating your floor using a floating slab of concrete you are going to struggle to control the amount of bass that is transmitted through the building structure. When I used to do building acoustics, we used to design cinema's and the more modern sound tracks and installs were making it harder and harder to isolate one screen from another. Each had its own 'floating' floor and the walls were typically two independent studs, triple layer plasterboard (one or two of which were a specific soundblock board) with a decent cavity between them with a layer of insulation. We also did a building for British Aerospace for testing aircraft parts to destruction using sound from an air powered klaxon and that was two 1000mm (6ft6") concrete walls, basically a room within a room to contain the noise.

Anyway, the point being, that it is a bit of a challenge. Maybe pay your friend to go out fo dinner occasionally? :)

Is it a downfiring subwoofer? If so, sound energy from the cone will be firing directly into the structure of the floor.

Buy a 1" thick paving slab for a few $ and it will reduce sound energy transfer into the structure but leave volume levels in the room much the same. You could also put it on its side so it's a front-firing subwoofer.

Make sure the door is sealed tightly when closed - buy that draught-stop foam stuff on a roll and line the door jamb, it helps with higher frequencies a lot and higher bass frequencies to some extent.

What I need is basically a firearm's silencer built for a subwoofer; if you know what I mean. Take the large portion of noise away.
Most of the firearm's output is high frequency, it can be muffled with a relatively small "silencer" (which are not as silent as all the old movies make them seem) but low frequencies require a lot more mass and material to stop.

Unfortunately, $50 won't do much, but moving the sub(s) to right behind your rib cage will allow you to feel the bass at a far lower level, as well as probably causing less floor coupling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.