• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Absolute. Best. Chassis. Ever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
high end chassis

Some rust on an old chassis might help damp microphonics.

But how about this!
Use an old fish bowl to submerge the electronics in an oil bath. Then put some sparkly shiny tinsel bits into the oil to circulate due to the heat from the tubes, so will look like a Lava Lamp. No dead fish please.

Don

smoke cooling

Remember those little smoke pills you used to get for Lionel and other toy trains that made smoke for the train engine when they were heated. Are those still available?

Put some smoke pills into the fishbowl with oil bath. When it gets hot enough, they would give off smoke bubbles and probably help cool the tubes too.

Could also try putting them under the plate cap connectors for a regular amp. for nice effect.

For a really neat effect though, here is an idea:

Mount the tubes and electronics on a flat board (maybe PC) assembly. Then punch holes in the chassis for where the tubes can come thru. The board assembly would be motorized so as to ascend from within the chassis at power on. The effect would be of the tubes slowly coming up thru the holes in the chassis. At the same time, a power resistor inside the chassis would be energized so as to heat the smoke pills. And a bunch of assorted color LEDs would be mounted near the tube positions so as to illuminate the smoke columns eminating thru the tube holes as the tubes come up. Sort of like the special effects for a band. (If it burns down your house though, its not my fault.)

Don

Lo Mu

Ah! The old crushed ferrite core powder, mixed in the cake mix trick. Too low a Mu though for my tastes.

I tried to make some acoustic Jello once by mixing ferrite core powder with whipped Jello. Then I used a winding around it to try to get magnetostriction for acoustic output. Too low an efficiency though for audio. Neat novelty though, musical Jello.

:D

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.