About possible Babelfish J interest

offset

Good morning,

I´ve finished my Babelfish J with 20V-transformers, three IRFP240, 0,47R (R2…R6).
When setting the offset, I get the following results:
Directly after turn on, the offset is about - 700 mV (520 mV over R2 … R6),
half an hour later there is - 200 mV (495 mv over R2),
after one hour I have about - 100 mV,
after two hours - 40 mV with 490 mV over R2 (the heatsinks have a temperature of 53 degrees).
Is this a normal behavior? With that high starting offset can I connect the amp to the loudspeakers?

Best regards, Axel

everything as normal , be sure to set both Iq and DC offset at temp equilibrium

initial offset will be lower with load connected , nothing to worry about , even if you use Lowthers

Hi Zen mod!
how about active current when circuit add 01 Zen 5V1 ?

Attachments

• base-pcb-sch.jpg
    base-pcb-sch.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 542
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sorry - that's just Eagle generated BOM

what you see is just part's physical layout compatibility ,part's package info , whatever

certainly not electrical equivalency

whatever , looking at 2N3820 datasheet ......... that one is simply too wimpy for task , nearly not enough xconductance (read - intrinsic gain and cojones)

Hi Zen Mod,
thanks for your question. Yes, it´s singing, very dynamic and colorful sound, much better than my old aleph 4 monos. Now I don´t use my rel stadium subwoofer!
Your question led me to do some cable dressing, to reduce the small hum I heard in front of my speakers - the pictures are "before". And after carefull tightening the screws which hold the two transformers they became quiet too ;-).
Thanks again for your help and the babelfish j.
Hope I get the mobile phone pictures uploaded.
Best regards,
Axel

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 679
  • gr-mit-masse.jpg
    gr-mit-masse.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 677
  • kühlkörper.jpg
    kühlkörper.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 667
  • netzteil.jpg
    netzteil.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 667
  • netzteil-gesamt.jpg
    netzteil-gesamt.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 640
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
considering that JFets are depletion devices - in this circuit no , without major redo

I have something in prototype stage , adequate for whatever type of output you toss in (tnx to myriad of breadcrumbs Papa spilled around) , but I'm always short in time so I can't give you any promise about when

so , easiest is , if you're interested in other devices - to find something comparable to Semisouth SJEP series

look around for Aleph Jango - some , in fact almost all , angles are covered there