About Non-Audiophile

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Think about a planet revolving under the pale lights of multiple moons. Your visions will surely be exotic, mysterious and intensely personal. About a magical place beyond ready description. About somewhere far out. About elsewhere.

About industry toadies with no shame or ethics whatsoever. About kneepads. About advertisers. About avoiding any rational concern regarding what matters and what does not. About money. About hiding all potentially useful information around so many ads that you can hardly find it. About when you do find it, you realize that it too is an ad.

About audiophiles.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
audio-kraut said:

Because "audiophiles" in general refuse to acknowledge the importance of measurements, objective test procedures and their goal is to achieve a "pleasing" sound reproduction rather than one of the highest fidelity to the source, I am averse to have anything to do with this "title" audiophile.

It sounds like you are saying that those who reject measurements are audiophiles :xeye:

Neither in here or anywhere else, I havent met anyone who rejects measurements
Sure, some rely more on measurements than others, but that completely different
Not to put too much weight on measurements is very different from not to acknowledge them

Just read an audiophile saying that, "there are audiophiles and there are audiophiles"

His point was that if you are constantly hunting fore better gear, and never satisfied with what you have, and mostly "listening" hifi and less concentrating on music, then its time to rethink the whole thing

Audiophile or not, it seems we are facing the same roblems :clown:

jlsem said:

It was only a reference to some other Germans from a different time and place who redefined a group of people they didn't like from a religion to a "race". John

Hmm...is stuff like this really called for?
Would you say this in person to Audio-Krauts face. I didn't think so.
jslm you should apologize for your obvious trash talk from the past on an international (non-political) forum.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
infinia said:
Hi my name is infinia and I'm an audioholic.
No audiophile can be considered "normal" by definition. I see it as an affliction and some people are just well, more afflicited.
But when you are really afflicted you are so twisted to think you are normal and everybody else has a problem.

An example of a problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs

I haven't met those people on the video, maybe one. I have seen them around in audio shows and online. It is about a 99.9% commercial systems owners club, ranging from expensive to extremely expensive. Those people are mainly affluent with significant professional profiles and really dig luxurious home listening and good food, leading family lives from what I gather from the video. They are hobbyist consumers, I don't think that they have anything deep technical audio to talk about in any concise manner, they let the designers do that and sponsor them to do so, by giving reason to exist to the high end audio industry sector. They like to have their recreation by listening to music at home spending almost all their free time tweaking and comparing, learning through hands on experience on how to coax their kit to sing according to their emotional reactions to the outcome. That is what I understood they showed in the clip. Its their personal consumer choice instead to those leading provocative social profiles by pouring their strong economical assets into show off for instance. Someone of them argued against owning a Mercedes. Abnormal statistically considering the non popular passion they put their assets to but humanly normal in principle for exploring some passion. At least their passion is a civilized one. ''Odd'' differs from ''abnormal'' IMHO. I would never do that even If I won the lottery, I prefer DIY and going out, but that proves the principle of personal passion choices.

salas said:

They are hobbyist consumers, I don't think that they have anything deep technical audio to talk about in any concise manner, they let the designers do that and sponsor them to do so, by giving reason to exist to the high end audio industry sector.

Maybe?
or from wiki
The phrase "obsessive-compulsive" has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed in a cause, or otherwise fixated on something or someone.[3] Although these signs are often present in OCD, a person who exhibits them does not necessarily have OCD, and may instead have obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) or some other condition.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
infinia said:

Maybe?
or from wiki
The phrase "obsessive-compulsive" has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed in a cause, or otherwise fixated on something or someone.[3] Although these signs are often present in OCD, a person who exhibits them does not necessarily have OCD, and may instead have obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) or some other condition.

Yes but statistically still an alike human tendency if we consider that each one hobbyist of us, surely has chosen something that we pour our best in. See those loving cars, gamble, drugs, shopping, add, add, add... Obsessive compulsion is a strong part of modern life, we are just fooled by separatism and popularity acceptance level of different hobbies so to think that an audio gear geek is more geek than a fashion geek IMHO.

infinia said:

Maybe?
or from wiki

I think you've nailed it. I find it surprising that some people are associating such negative image with the term audiophile. when I think of audiophile, I think of people who enjoy music, music reproduction, and everything related to music albeit not in the sense of a musician.

OCD applies to not only audiophile, but with drugs, credit card spending, politics (extremist), and etc.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its just a matter of what obsession how large a social group defines as cool or wacko IMO. When all are basically obsessions. I wonder if the journalist could ask a member of that club if he is crazy for devoting a lifetime in tweaking bikes or how much he really spends, into his face, in the presence of his wife and daughter, and if he would react as nicely as the gent in the audiophile clip. Or how exciting our Burning amp festival is for many of our friends and family. Separatism and mainstream marketing makes Nelson Pass in Burning amp weird to the eyes of many, when a fashion victim shopping his 12th credit card overdraft in Hollywood Boulevard is cool. Let me tell you guys. The only difference between cool or weird is how high or low the chicks understand a male obsession.

infinia said:
yet, what about the guy who has just 50 Lp's and a $50,000 system.

Sure, it describes some members. What does it prove of the group?
Is this another thread in which the 'defenders of science' gang stereotype without evidence those with whom they disagree? Define audiophile any way you want but please stop claiming the scientific high ground for personal ends. It's just wrong.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
infinia said:

yet, what about the guy who has just 50 Lp's and a $50,000 system.
When the media cost is less than the system cost, then focus has shifted to another plane.

Its exactly like the guy who drives a Ferrari 90% of the time in town's severely speed limited roads. But almost everybody looks up to him as cool, when the other guy will be taken as fool.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That is what most dig.

But I dig the guy with the Space Odyssey avatar more. I learned a couple of things from him at least.

:cool:

Attachments

• nelsonp.gif
    nelsonp.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 147
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.