About my amps mains connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I DO expect my amps to last for 40 years...even if I dun use them that long...and yes I do have a amp that is 40 years old...although I'm only 14...it was my dad's...not SS though...tube...but using relay's here makes my skin run cold...coz when they go open...which is often the case when they spoil...the resistors would overheat and possibly case a fire or burn out some stuff inside ur amp...so are you suggesting we put in 100W resistors instead?? Maybe we should forget all about this and instead put in a 13A fuse...lolx...on the topic on inrush suppressors...why would we wanna use relay circuits or SCRs...compared to a thermistor...which is better?? I think there was a thread on thermistors used as inrush supperessors...

thermistors are fine if you have a clas A amp, clas AB you don't have a load so the resistor won't get hot enouf, so there is a continuesly resistor in series with the mains, not something i like, for clas A, yes a very good sulution becouse the load is always the same..... and a thermistor stays in the mains and the resistor not.

"so are you suggesting we put in 100W resistors instead"
If it is a 1KVA transfo, YES , what i mean is .. i sometimes see DIY amps with 1KVA transfo and caps of 100mF and a seriesresistor of 10W, that doesn't last long, but heck, you don''t have to wurry about your relais in that case, becouse you have to remove these resistors every week :eek:

Greetz Rudy

Triac vs relay

With good drive circuit is triac ideal device for " soft start ", but after starting cyclus must be shorted by any relay becouse bring in mains circuit disturbing noise ( about + / - 0,7 V pp ). I mean that is better use for soft start any resistor, which will be shorted by the same relay as by triac. PTC termistor is not good for this, becouse is usable for constand power consumtion and have in " on mode " not so litlle resistance, which bring to the reproduction " dead of dynamic " - my own experience.

Startup module

Here is a picture of my startup/control module for my amp

I'll post schmatics later

\Jens

Attachments

• jens2_small.jpg
    jens2_small.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 159
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.