about free samples

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
free samples

guys, do you really think that makers of conductors, etc... charge you for samples ??/ hahahha

i have had the experience with Molex, Parlex and Juji...

even when i asked them to just send it by usps envelope, they still send it ups of FEDex in super large boxes and they never sent me an invoice.
i spole to one of the people at Molex and he assured me that before they send out an invoice (invoice making costs a lot of money these days) the need some serious order!!!! other wise it is just an internal memo to the warehouse and out it goes!!!!

as long as you deal wiht big producers that are not interested in selling 1 or 2 items you can ask almost anything!

Just dont go nuts guys....

I made the mistake of ordering samples of the same component a few times from NSC.

They dont send me samples any more :bawling:

BTW... be careful with samples from smaller IC companies.
I cant remeber who they came from, but they got sent to a distributor here in Adelaide who then wanted to charge me the $80s for postage from the US.

You can escape any and all ethical questions by simply ... acting ethically. If you wonder about free samples, just remember this: the company provides samples programs because they want engineers to get their samples, in order that they might incorporate them into new designs. As a DIYer, you will never order the parts in question, so you are breaking the assumption that underlies the samples system. You are taking a free ride and the company has no hope of any return.

That is what Digi-Key is for. You can order 1 or 2 ICs from them, and it is no problem.

Be careful about ordering free samples. I have some bad experiences about using this option, many companies would call you up the hear your opninon and comments about their components.
Some manufactures would also like to know in what application(s) you are going to use their components.
And of course.. you have the thing about being banned from their "free smples option".

I prefer paying to getting in contact with FBI.

Actually that was a joke to one of the previous posts.:D
Not really funny but...
I´m not one of the hyper-cautious types.
I´d tried at least the big semiconductor companies for samples.
As a student and hobby developer I don´t feel guilty at all.
I think at TI(or NS??) I didn´t even registered with my company but with the status being a student which is really cool.
And the request for some jolly big heatsinks is already sent off.
I´ll press my thumbs but am probably gonna encounter some stupid questions.:rolleyes:
BTW: The heatsinks must sell for around 40€($) I guess which is still much cheaper for the company but more than 35 cent.

I didn't hear anything from AD or TI.

I had to pay taxes on the TI shipment though (21% on value as mentioned on the packages). It seems the customs pick only those packages with a value of more than 25 EURO here in Belgium.

Better ask less samples per package and more packages.

Gert

I have gotten samples twice from TI/BB and once from Fairchild semi. I filled out the forms truthfully. I even filled in 2 as the expected production quantity. I am a EE student so that helps.:D They don't seem to mind shipping to EE students because they want to sell us parts when we get a job. I also don't really like the idea of getting samples for building a project since you don't really learn much about the parts. I will only use them for testing things that I actually designed. I also don't get samples of simple cheap parts like opamps. The last one I got was an IVC102U switched integrator, an ADS831 8bit 80MHz ADC and an ADS1240e 24bit ADC from TI.

It really is unethical to fill in all those boxes with things like production quanitity = 100000.

Darrell Harmon

It is interesting to note that Texas Instruments uses digikey to ship their samples. I noticed this by the similarities in packaging. Holding the invoices next to each other they are the same except DigiKey is Replaced with TI. Same with the box. The shipping address was the same. I haven't found a TI part that digikey doesn't stock yet, but with Linear and Maxim I can't get most of those parts anywhere.

Fairchild ships from Newark and doesn't even try to hide it.

Darrell Harmon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.